Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

This program has stopped working

Apr 1, 2012 7:44 PM

Tags: #crash #elements_10

64 bit Windows 7.  PE10 used to work fine, now "this program has stopped working"  I unistalled, re-booted, re-installed, still the same.  What's gpoing on?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 1, 2012 8:26 PM   in reply to Chris Stross

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 2, 2012 5:17 AM   in reply to Chris Stross

How fast is your processor and how much RAM do you have?

How much free, clean, defragmented space is on your C drive? When did you last run a program like iObit's Advanced System Care Free to clear out junk files? Are you editing video on your C drive or are your project and media files on a second or external drive?

Have you manually gone to Windows Update and ensured  you have even the non-critical updates (which can provide some important drivers)?

Have you gone to the ATI or nVidia web sites and ensured you have the latest version of your graphics card's drivers?

Have you ensured you have the latest version of Quicktime?

Does the program not open at all or does it crash when you try to open a previously-created project or add media to it?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 2, 2012 5:18 AM   in reply to Chris Stross

Cheers,

--

Neale

Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 2, 2012 11:58 AM   in reply to Chris Stross

Have you tried disabling your antivirus software?

What speed is the external disk drive?

Can you search for a file baddrivers.txt to see if it exists on your system.

Cheers,

--

Neale

Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 3, 2012 8:31 PM   in reply to Chris Stross

Chris,

What changed with the system? See this ARTICLE.

Also, Neale linked to an article on PrE Crashing & Hanging. It starts with a checklist, which it seems that you have already gone through. One quick question about it: did you check your video and audio drivers from the card/chip mfgr's. Web site? Windows, and most driver utilities, will be months out of date.

Then, that linked article goes into several links on tuning up one's system, and OS, and then has links on troubleshooting. I would pay particular attention to the Finding Clues link, as it can be very, very useful.

Good luck, and the trick is to find out what has changed, since things worked well.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 13, 2012 8:22 AM   in reply to Chris Stross

Chris,

PrE does not support EDL (Edit Decision Lists).

What happens, when you Open an existing Project? Do you get any error messages?

What happens if you Open, or Import (a function that PrE does not have) one of those PREL files into your PrPro CS 5.5 trial? Do they Open/Import fine?

Good luck, and let us know a bit more please.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 13, 2012 3:44 PM   in reply to Chris Stross

Yes, sometimes luck is all that we have to fall back on.

In the past, I have used a few CoffeeCup programs, and still have one on my workstation. With those, I never had an issue with any Adobe program, but that was THEN, and many, many things could well have changed.

The good news is that you are closer to getting your Project done, and that is very important.

I share your thoughts on computers. I feel that sometimes, they just need to take a nice long break, to get their 1's and 0's back in line. I have also found that a few voodoo ceremonies can help - burning black candles where the computer can see them, placing chicken bones in various patterns on the desk, and such, will often get 'em to work, like we think they should. When most fails, I have also found that opening up the Dell Web site, and pouring over the specs. for a replacement computer will "slap 'em back in shape," and especially if I "oooh," and "ahhh" over a new, big workstation. Like with installations of Adobe software, sometimes doing the "wiggly dance" - clockwise - clockwise only, will help

Good luck, and hope that it holds,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 30, 2012 2:02 AM   in reply to Chris Stross

Just to add, sometimes Windows updates also cause such problems. Beware!

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points