Skip navigation
DavidGaryEsp
Currently Being Moderated

Iris (Portal) Transition: Feathered (Soft): How?

Jan 1, 2012 5:55 PM

Hi, I'm new to Adobe Premiere, and want to make an opening-iris transition with feathered (extremely soft) edges, adjusted interactively. That is, not something that looks like a camera iris, but rather a plain portal opening progressively wider from one clip transitioning to another.  The given Iris Transition in Premiere has several settings but appears not to have any setting for feathering/softness, (other than anti-alias, which is nowhere near as soft as I need).   I'm looking for e.g. feathering over 50-100 pixels radius and interactive adjustment of centre position.

What is the best way of achieving that in Premiere?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 1, 2012 6:14 PM   in reply to DavidGaryEsp

Challenging question.

I think that is beyond the scope of Premiere and more like an After Effects, "effect build".

If it were possible to apply Blur FX to a  transition in Premiere...it may have been easier.

You could animate a graphic file (eg psd)  and add a blur maybe

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 2, 2012 1:59 AM   in reply to DavidGaryEsp

Have a look at SpiceMASTER Video Transitions & Effects | Pixelan Software

They offer all kinds of feathered irises, fully adjustable for a nice price.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 2, 2012 3:10 AM   in reply to DavidGaryEsp

Try the circle effect.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 2, 2012 2:00 PM   in reply to DavidGaryEsp

Superimpose two clips for the duration of the transition.

Add circle effect to clip in track two (see screendump)

Set keyframe beginning to 0 and end to max expand.

iris circle effect.png

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 30, 2012 3:29 AM   in reply to shooternz

I like Premiere, but this is one of its huge drawbacks. You say it's more like an effect build for After Effects. Both Vegas and Edius have a circle iris with feather, as well as a wipe with feather, two transitions that are used in Hollywood movies, the feathered iris especially by Scorsese, and Lucas has used the feathered wipe in Star Wars. I don't understand why a suposedly pro NLE doesn't bring these out of the box instead of relying on AE or 3rd party packages for them.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 30, 2012 3:44 AM   in reply to Sebalv

Linear wipe under the video effects has feather.

I agree feather for several effects and transitions is way over due.

Please file a FEATURE request

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 30, 2012 4:20 PM   in reply to Ann Bens

That may be so, but it's absolutely ridiculous that for such a simple transition you have to move clip A to an upper track, the audio from clip A to a lower audio track, then bring clip B to the left as many seconds as you want the transition, and then keyframe a video effect that is supposed to be a transition.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 30, 2012 5:10 PM   in reply to Sebalv

... two transitions that are used in Hollywood movies, the feathered iris especially by Scorsese, and Lucas has used the feathered wipe in Star Wars. I don't understand why a suposedly pro NLE doesn't bring these out of the box instead of relying on AE or 3rd party packages for them.

I will guarantee that the effects in those movies were not done in an "NLE".  The  pros will tend to use a compositing application..ut in the case of the movies quoted...probably an optical effect. (which takes a lot longer and is more involved than the solution offered byAnn Bens)

FWIW.  Adobe seems very reluctant to offer much in the way of "feathering" in Premiere.  Their rational seems to be...you have got After Effects to that.  Same cant be said for Vegas or Edius so they have to offer different solutions

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 30, 2012 5:21 PM   in reply to shooternz

"The Departed" from 2006 was most likely edited in an NLE. His older movies may have been optical effects. As for Star Wars, episodes I, II and III were also probably edited in an NLE since the first one is from 1999.

If Adobe's rational for not offering feather in Premiere is to move to AE for a simple transition it's going to cost them a lot of customers. Why would I switch to Premiere when for something so simple I have to open a layer compositing program, when in Edius I can simply drag the transition to the edit point, the same way I would drag a transition in Premiere? It's just ridiculous. I'm sure this statement is going to earn me a lot of replies like "If you like Edius so much, why don't you stay with it?", but just think about it. Adobe wants to position this NLE as the best thing out there for editors, yet they fail to provide a simple feathered linear or circle wipe? Come on.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 30, 2012 5:33 PM   in reply to Sebalv

"editing" in an NLE does not mean it is  "finished" in an NLE.  I doubt that the Master came from Edius, FCP or Vegas for example. 

That being said...there is a lot of call for different  / more transitions in Premiere and I guess those that want them... need to look at plugins.

I am one that agrees that feathering and invert effects is overdue in PPRO.  Particularly garbage mattes (from which transitions could be made)

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points