Skip navigation
elluminita
Currently Being Moderated

Upgrade price to CS6?

Apr 28, 2012 11:36 PM

I purchased Photoshop CS5 Extended (Student & Teacher edition) in September 2011 and I'm interested in upgrading to CS6 when it comes out. I know that recent purchases have a free upgrade to CS6 (I bought Dreamweaver during this recent timeframe that will be upgraded), but I can't seem to find anywhere an upgrade price for Student and Teacher editions. I'm curious to know what the upgrade or discount price would be to get CS6 as a student, since it seems ridiculous to pay for another full student/teacher version for something I've only had for such a short time. If there isn't a student upgrade price to CS6, is there any way I could take my Dreamweaver upgrade and put it towards a Photoshop upgrade instead?

Thank you.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 29, 2012 12:02 AM   in reply to elluminita

If you have a Student and Teacher edition and want to upgrade, you have to pay the regular commercial upgrade price.  The other option is to wait 12 months and buy another full Student and Teacher edition (assuming you still qualify then).  Go to your local Adobe online store to find the prices.

Unfortunately, you bought your CS5 version too early to be able to take advantage of the current free upgrade offer.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 29, 2012 12:03 AM   in reply to acresofgreen

Sorry I missed your other question the first time around.  Your Photoshop purchase and your Dreamweaver purchase are separate and you can't apply the purchase of Dreamweaver to an upgrade of Photoshop.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 29, 2012 12:05 AM   in reply to elluminita

is there any way I could take my Dreamweaver upgrade and put it towards a Photoshop upgrade instead?

There is no upgrade path from standalone Dreamweaver CS5 to standalone Photoshop CS6.

Your upgrade options:

1) Dreamweaver CS5 to Dreamweaver CS6

2) Dreamweaver CS5 to Creative Suite CS6 (any suite)

2) Monthly subscription to Creative Cloud CS6

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 29, 2012 1:10 AM   in reply to elluminita

The prices differ from country to country - see your local Adobe shop for pricing.  When you get your free Dreamweaver CS6 license, you can probably use it to upgrade to a suite at the regular commercial price.  There are education pricings for suites, with the following restrictions:

• There is no "Education upgrade" price.  If you have an education version you can either pay the regular commercial upgrade price or you can buy a new education product.
    • You can only buy one education product in a 12 month period.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 29, 2012 8:34 PM   in reply to acresofgreen

acresofgreen wrote:

… When you get your free Dreamweaver CS6 license, you can probably use it to upgrade to a suite at the regular commercial price…

Really???  I haven't seen such an offer in years.  I'm almost certain that the point-application-to-suite upgrade path is not available these days.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 29, 2012 9:10 PM   in reply to acresofgreen

acresofgreen wrote:

When you get your free Dreamweaver CS6 license, you can probably use it to upgrade to a suite at the regular commercial price.

Please note, as of CS6 we are No Longer Allowed To Upgrade From An Individual Product To A Suite! (Sorry for the shout!)

I have Photoshop CS5, if I wanted to upgrade to Design Standard I can still do so, to CS5.5 Design Standard, now, before the release of CS6 on the 6th/7th of May.

Once CS6 is released, if I want to "upgrade" to Design Standard, I will have to buy the suite outright, there will be NO "upgrade" path from Photoshop etc.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 29, 2012 10:52 PM   in reply to pf22

That's right.

There's been a (low key) shift in purchasing policy from earlier CS versions.

The standalone product > Suite upgrade path has been removed.

From the CS6 FAQ

http://www.adobe.com/au/products/photoshop/faq.html

What is Adobe's upgrade policy for Creative Suite 6?

Adobe allows upgrades to CS6 individual products and suite editions from one version back (which in this case is CS5 and CS5.5, due to the interim CS5.5 release). For example, if you have a validly licensed copy of Photoshop CS5, you can upgrade to Photoshop CS6 at the upgrade price. Owners of individual products are not eligible to upgrade to suite editions.

http://www.adobe.com/products/creativesuite/faq.html#purchasing-policy

What is Adobe's upgrade policy for Creative Suite 6?

Owners of a CS5 or CS5.5 suite edition qualify for upgrade pricing to a CS6 suite edition. Owners of an individual CS5 or CS5.5 product qualify for upgrade pricing to the same product but not to a suite edition. Any version earlier than CS5 will not be eligible for upgrade pricing.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 30, 2012 3:56 AM   in reply to pf22

I stand corrected, I hadn't seen these new upgrade policies! 

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 30, 2012 4:43 AM   in reply to acresofgreen

acresofgreen wrote:

I stand corrected, I hadn't seen these new upgrade policies!

I think these changes are going to catch many by surprise.

I wouldn't have known about it if I didn't visit this forum.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 30, 2012 8:30 AM   in reply to elluminita

There is no upgrade price for student or educational versions.  THey are cheaper than the upgrade price so you just have to buy the edition.

You can upgrade a student version to the regular version when you are no longer a student.  So therefore, choose a product you want to pay the price to upgrade.  THere are upgrade paths (products) and it costs more if you try to change that path.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 30, 2012 2:41 PM   in reply to John Waller

John Waller wrote:

The standalone product > Suite upgrade path has been removed.

I think they finally discovered that there was a loophole there: You could use the standalone first to upgrade to a suite, then in the next cycle upgrade the standalone to the next version.

I once briefly considered such a move (I had Photoshop CS3 > Design Standard CS3), but concluded it was against the EULA - or at the least it would technically void the suite license. But there was nothing really stopping me - until now.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 30, 2012 2:47 PM   in reply to twenty_one

D Fosse wrote:
    I once briefly considered such a move (I had Photoshop CS3 > Design Standard CS3), but concluded it was against the EULA - or at the least it would technically void the suite license.

Why would it void anything? Seems perfectly legitimate.

Nevertheless, to me, these increasingly restrictive upgrade paths are all Adobe's way of nudging people towards the Cloud with the inference that it's great value now which will only get better over time.

|
    Mark as:
    May 1, 2012 3:56 AM   in reply to John Waller

John Waller wrote:

Why would it void anything? Seems perfectly legitimate.

Well, yes, but the plan was to upgrade Photoshop CS3 to Photoshop CS5 - and in the meantime I had upgraded the CS3 suite to CS4. So I would then have two parallell upgrade paths both based on the same single product. I just couldn't convince myself that was entirely kosher.

But if someone can convince me it's legitimate, I may get the Photoshop CS6 upgrade while I still can...

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points