Skip navigation
This discussion is archived
Currently Being Moderated

Camera Raw 7

Apr 16, 2012 4:12 AM

When using 'edit in' in Lightroom 4 to edit an image on CS5, it says that I need camera raw 7.0 plugin.  This does not seem to exist.  a)Where can i find it or b) how can I prevent the message if it is incorrect?

I'm running in a window 7 environment

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 16, 2012 4:36 AM   in reply to EverOptimistic

a) You're going to have to wait for the final release of Photoshop CS 6, at which time ACR 7 will be released.  Currently ACR 7 beta is only available with the CS 6 beta;

b) You can't.  All you can do is shrug and ignore it. 

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 18, 2012 5:43 AM   in reply to station_one

Thank you for solving my problem.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 18, 2012 10:47 AM   in reply to 癫者

Or, alternatively, you can download ACR 6.7 RC from Adobe Labs.  It will work with Lightroom 4 and Photoshop CS5.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 18, 2012 11:45 PM   in reply to JimHess

Really? I'll just try. And thank you!

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 19, 2012 6:11 AM   in reply to 癫者

ACR 6.7 Release Candidate will render an image is CS5 that was adjusted in Lightroom 4.x using ACR7, but you can't make adjustments to the ACR7 sliders in CS5.  This allows compatibility between CS5 and images that were adjusted in Lightroom 4.x using PV2012.  If you want to make adjustments in CS5 to images that were adjusted in Lightroom 4 using PV2012 (ACR7) then you will have to wait for CS6 with ACR7. 

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 19, 2012 8:43 AM   in reply to b2martin_a

Yes, so that prevents you from using Smart Objects and going back to ACR to tweak images.  But for what I would refer to as basic Lightroom/Photoshop actions it will work pretty well.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 22, 2012 11:19 PM   in reply to carly1988

OK, how about SPAM?

Hair straightener, really? Like this is gonna fly in this knida forum?

Really?

:~)

BTW, reported as spam...

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 26, 2012 3:02 PM   in reply to Jeff Schewe

There is someone in another forum who is claiming that he is using ACR 7 with Photoshop CS 5.5 on a Vista OS computer.  He even posted a screen shot of the ACR "about" screen that verified that it is ACR 7.  Photoshop workspace behind looks like CS 5 on my computer.  Any ideas?

A little more information.  After further questioning, it turns out that he is also running Photoshop CS 6 beta.  But he copied that ACR 7 and is running it with Photoshop CS 5.5.  Is that supposed to be possible?

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,488 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Apr 27, 2012 11:05 AM   in reply to JimHess

That's not really an appropriate discussion to have here, Jim.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 27, 2012 12:23 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Why is that? The guy was confused and asking questions and I didn't have an answer. I thought maybe one of you "experts" might lend some insight. If that's wrong, I apologize (I guess).

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,488 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Apr 27, 2012 1:30 PM   in reply to JimHess

I mention that because it's unethical to try (or help someone try) to get the new technology to work for free in the older version of Photoshop.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 27, 2012 5:35 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Yes, I understand that. I guess I failed to ask my question properly. I had gone to great lengths to explain to this guy how ACR and Lightroom are related and how ACR 7 would not work with Photoshop CS 5. And then he writes back and says he copied ACR 7 from his Photoshop CS 6 installation over to CS 5, and said that it was working. He even showed screenshots. I was confused, perhaps dumbfounded. I asked the question, not to try to help him, but simply to ask WHY he was able to do that. I was not trying to help him get ACR 7 working in Photoshop CS 5. I was wondering if perhaps something had been overlooked by the development team.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,488 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Apr 27, 2012 7:49 PM   in reply to JimHess

Not accusing you of anything.  It sounds as if you explained things just as they should be.  And as far as I can see you are right.

CameraRaw7WithCS5.jpg

To say that Adobe hopes their Camera Raw improvements (and they are amazing) will help sell Photoshop CS6 might be an understatement.  I really doubt they're going to leave such an obvious hole open.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 27, 2012 8:09 PM   in reply to JimHess

Discussions of software piracy and Adobe software hacking is what is frowned upon, which using ACR 7 with PS 5.5 could be interpreted as.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 28, 2012 5:55 AM   in reply to EverOptimistic

Everoptimist wrote:

Hi, as the author of the original query, thanks all for your comments and the subsequent dialogue. It may be naive of me howvere I am not sure that the use of ACR 7 with CS5 should necessarily be considered software piracy or hacking. Having read the dialogue it seems that what might be a backward compatible plugin ACR7 is available. Personally, I think that this is a positive situation, especially where the end user has upgraded one product but not another i.e. LR3 – LR4 but still using CS5. Perhaps Adobe might wish to consider this as a principle for future releases as there will always be a time when users need to take a product upgrade but sorting out differences between already co-existing products should not be one of these times.

I wouldn't be expecting backward compatibility. That has never happened in the past, and I seriously doubt that it will start now. The irony of this discussion is that I don't believe you are the one who made the original query. It was not in an Adobe forum. It was in another one that I watch, yet wonder why.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 28, 2012 5:59 AM   in reply to ssprengel

ssprengel wrote:

Discussions of software piracy and Adobe software hacking is what is frowned upon, which using ACR 7 with PS 5.5 could be interpreted as.

That thought didn't even enter my mind. I guess maybe I'm a little naïve. I was just wondering if there was something that I didn't understand, or if something had been overlooked. I'm not the best communicator. But I enjoy trying to help others and I just wanted to make sure I had my information straight.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,488 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Apr 28, 2012 8:57 AM   in reply to EverOptimistic

Everoptimist wrote:

I am not sure that the use of ACR 7 with CS5 should necessarily be considered software piracy or hacking.

Be sure.  There is no chance they're going to make those two work together.

But Adobe will be releasing a version 6.7 of Camera Raw (the Release Candidate is already available) that will effect the compatibility you seek between LR4 and Photoshop CS5.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 28, 2012 10:11 AM   in reply to Noel Carboni

I could see a beta version of the plug-in not having the version check built-in, yet, so as to make it easier to test internally, relying on the installer to protect against illegal installs.  I would not expect the non-beta version of something from allowing mismatched version operation.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,488 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Apr 28, 2012 10:14 AM   in reply to ssprengel

No need to speculate.  I tested it above (post 15).

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 28, 2012 11:14 AM   in reply to Noel Carboni

I see a screenshot of a message that says it doesn’t work.  The question is how it seemed to work for someone on a different non-Adobe forum.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,488 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Apr 28, 2012 12:02 PM   in reply to ssprengel

Possibilities:

1.  Someone pulling someone else's leg (e.g., by manipulating two screen grabs).

2.  What looked like Photoshop CS5 underneath but what was really CS6 beta with the light theme selected.

3.  It might work on a different system architecture, or in 32 bit (I tested 64).

4.  Someone did find a way to hack it.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 29, 2012 10:56 PM   in reply to ssprengel

5. ACR7 from a leaked CS6 prerelease (pre public beta)

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 30, 2012 8:20 AM   in reply to b2martin_a

just to mention that this is 90% true. there is a bug somewhere that does not  allow the clarity >0 local adjustments made in LR 4 to be correctly read by CS5 6.7 acr. this is discussed here and I have found it myself on both my pc and Mac. hope they ll fix it.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/974963

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 30, 2012 8:36 AM   in reply to EverOptimistic

In reply to original post. I believe that if, in Lightroom, you go to Settings > Process and change that from 2012 to 2010, that should end the ACR 7.0 message you're receiving.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points