Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Creating blu-ray and standard DVD from same video project - menus question

Apr 28, 2012 1:58 PM

Tags: #blu-ray #menus #encore_cs5

Hi,

I have a video project I intend to distribute on both blu-ray and standard DVD. I'm planning create all the menus and buttons first for the blu-ray disc. Can I just downsize the menus and buttons in Encore when I go to create the standard DVD? Or am I better off recreating the standard DVD menus in Photoshop? Has anyone else needed to create the same menus for both br and standard DVDs? Any tips? I'm using CS5. Thanks.

Cheers, Steve

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 28, 2012 6:18 PM   in reply to FamilyLegacyVideo

I had to create both for the same client.

I found things worked better if I created two Encore projects, one for Blu-ray and one for DVD.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 30, 2012 8:46 AM   in reply to FamilyLegacyVideo

I'd certainly agree with Jim's answer above too.

The problem with trying to use the same image is not so much the massively different resolution (1920x1080 against 720x480) but also the pixel aspect ratio.

BD uses square pixels, and what you design is what you get in the disc - DVD on the other hand uses non-square pixels and this can be a design nightmare if you attempt to scale HIgh Resolutiom images down to SD.

Also the button SPHL are different - BD requires a separate layer for each button state in up to 256 coloiurs whereas DVD gives you the whole lot on one 2-bit indexed image with a total of 3 coloirs.

I would definitely suggest creating separate menus for each project.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points