Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Alternating sides for chapter footers using master pages

Apr 30, 2012 8:35 AM

Hi, I am trying to create a pdf book with chapter 1 titles appearing in all footers on the left page (in chapter 1), and chapter 2 titles in footers on all right pages (in chapter 2). So far I only have one master page, a two-page master with text frames on both pages. After I made this master, I dropped my text in and it autoflowed. I then made a second master page, based on A-master called B-chapter 2, with section markers on the right side instead of the left. I then applied this master to the relevant pages, and it looked fine. However, now that I've done this, I no longer have control over the text frames in chapter 2 using the master pages. What have I done wrong? I would like to have layout as described, but still be able to adjust the size of all text frames in all chapters, by using the master page text frames. Is this possible? Basically I want to alternate the side section titles appear on, but retain control of the text frames via master pages. Appreciate any thoughts. 

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 30, 2012 8:44 AM   in reply to Martin S...

What you describe there makes very little sense to me at all. Which makes me think that I'm not understanding what you're describing, or you haven't described it very well, or the most likely scenario is that you've done something really bizarre in your setup.

Can you please post some screen shots of the pages and what is happening - from the description it's quite hard to imagine what you've done.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 30, 2012 9:19 AM   in reply to Martin S...

I don't understand why you need to change text frame sizes all at once?

If you create margins on your master pages to where you want the text frame to be.

Draw a text frame on the Master Pages.

Then when you insert text into the main page you'll have a text frame within those margins on every page.

|
    Mark as:
    May 1, 2012 12:23 AM   in reply to Martin S...

Object styles cannot control frame dimensions. The good news, though, is if the frames snap to guides you can enable layout adjustment BEFORE you change the page size and the frames will resize automatically.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points