Skip navigation
Kearypik1
Currently Being Moderated

Help !!! magic exctractor

Apr 30, 2012 8:34 AM

I am doing a project that i need to get rid of the background. I have used the Magic extractor in Photoshop elements 9. It just doesnt seem to be very clean edges. Can any one help or give me another thing to try?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 30, 2012 8:45 AM   in reply to Kearypik1

[ moved to the correct forum ]

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 30, 2012 8:50 AM   in reply to Kearypik1

Use the selection tools of your choice to select the object you want, then select>refine edge or just add a one or two pixel feather, then select>inverse, delete or backspace. If you want a transparent area around your object, before you start, go to the layers panel and double click the background layer to turn it into a regular layer.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 30, 2012 9:43 AM   in reply to Kearypik1

Another option is to use the Background Eraser tool.  Experiment with its "Tolerance" setting to get a good result.  If the subject has areas of wispy hair, for example, using a large diameter brush and the "Discontiguous" limit will "reach in" past the edges of the hair to remove the background that shows through. 

As Barbara said, first convert the background to a normal layer, and you can then refine the Background Eraser's result by defringing the layer, etc.

Ken

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points