Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

CS6 performance improvement over CS5 when editing AVCHD?

Apr 30, 2012 6:01 AM

I'm running Premiere Pro CS5 version 5.0.3 on Win7 64bit with an I7 960 3.2ghz processor and 12gig ram installed. 

Premiere is installed on a solid state drive, along with the operating system etc. I'm using a PNY NVidia GForce GTX 285 which has a single Nvidia GPU and 1,024MB of GDDR3 onboard. I chose the GeForce graphics card as it has CUDA technology and I coudn't afford a Quadro card. Video is currently imported on two dedicated HDD's which are RAIDed (RAID 0) together and are solely used for that purpose.

I've been editing good quality semi-pro standard definition video with great success and have no issues in that respect, however I'm thinking of buying an AVCHD camera, so I've tried editing some H.264 AVCHD at 25p (1920x1080) and the performance of Premiere is considerably reduced when compared to my DV editing. I realise that AVCHD will use much more resources and I was expecting some peformance drop, but not as much as I am experiencing! I would have thought that my PC specs would be fine!

Will an upgrade to Premiere CS6 significantly improve performance (ie rendering speeds etc) over my version of Premiere CS5 without upgrading any of my hardware, or have I got to upgrade my ram (bearing in mind that Premiere is installed on a SSD) or change my graphics card?

If an upgrade to my hardware is needed to restore performance, realistically (budgets are tight!), how could I best improve my system?

Thanks for any help / advice you can give.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 30, 2012 6:25 AM   in reply to wrinklypeter2

CS6 has increased stability and features. But if you want better performance you must have components that allow the Mercury Playback engine to shine. This includes faster processors, more ram, fast raid arrays and a powerful graphics card.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 30, 2012 8:05 AM   in reply to wrinklypeter2

The link below might help:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/947698

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 30, 2012 10:47 AM   in reply to wrinklypeter2

To improve playback performance with such heavily compressed material as AVCHD, the only significant thing you can do is upgrade your CPU.

Unfortunately, you're already near the top of the heap on that one.  You don't have a whole lot of room for improvement there.  Maybe a 3960X, but that ain't cheap.

|
    Mark as:
    May 2, 2012 9:15 PM   in reply to Jim Simon

There are some tweaks in Premiere Pro CS6 that make it somewhat faster in this area than Premiere Pro CS5.5.

|
    Mark as:
    May 3, 2012 1:34 AM   in reply to wrinklypeter2

@wrinklypeter2

It seems from your post that you have no experience of CS5.5 and the way it "works" with AVCHD footage. 

I suggest you try some before you worry your self needlessly.

FWIW.  A reasonably decent system will edit it flawlessly.  I suggest that one does need to be able to access the Mercury features to take full advantage of Premiere Pro.

Prepare your self to be astounded. ..and do stop worrying your self before you know what you are worried about!  You may get all wrinkly if you continue.

|
    Mark as:
    May 3, 2012 5:04 AM   in reply to wrinklypeter2

I have a similar question. There will be visible improvement with dynamic link if I switch from CS5.5 ? I use edited AVCHD footages and AE projects and mixed them with several layer in AE.I have x79 platform  ( with 3930K, 32GB, GTX470 ).

And my other question, will be possible to open CS5.5 projects with CS6 , in Premiere and AE ?

Thanks in advance!

|
    Mark as:
    May 3, 2012 9:34 AM   in reply to Dvico

> There will be visible improvement with dynamic link if I switch from CS5.5 ?

There are significant performance improvements in After Effects CS6. These affect Dynamic Link, also. There are also several minor improvements (performance tweaks, bug fixes, etc.) for Dynamic Link.

> And my other question, will be possible to open CS5.5 projects with CS6 , in Premiere and AE ?

Yes. You can open projects created by previous versions, going back for several versions. With After Effects CS6 (After Effects 11.0), you can open projects created with After Effects 7.0 or later. I'll have to double-check the details for Premiere Pro CS6 (Premiere Pro 6.0), but the legacy version support goes back at least as far as Premiere Pro 2.0 projects.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points