Skip navigation
Mynka Doll
Currently Being Moderated

AE CS5.5 Trial not showing all export options

Apr 30, 2012 9:43 AM

I recently downloaded the trial to give it a shot on a project for school I'm working on currently but I've run into an issue.  From what I've seen this version is supposed to have full export functions but the only types I'm given on my menus are Adobe project files. Is there an additional update to download that I could possibly be missing?  I've used the update menu item which downloaded a codec update and a couple of others but I'm still unable to export.  I plan on picking up the new version with student loans next semester but right now I'm working on a project I've edited in Final Cut and exported as a .mov and I need to burn this to a DVD after the effects are added but I cannot.  Any suggestions other then downloading Premier as well?  I'm in a bit of a time crunch so I was trying to avoid teaching myself 2 new programs but if that will fix my problem I might.  I just don't want to download and install the whole thing just to find that I'm still unable to add these effects and burn my project or save in a format I could pull in to FCP.  Thanks!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 30, 2012 9:54 AM   in reply to Mynka Doll

You don't want to "export" you want to "render". Read up on it here.

As someone new to AE, I would highly recommend you start here. The links it provides will get you through learning the basics of the program like rendering your finished files. (This is one of the tutorials it links to - this one is specific to rendering.)

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 30, 2012 10:15 AM   in reply to Mynka Doll

It's also EXTREMELY helpful to run AE on the same machine as FCP.  You'll then have access to the necessary codecs.  In AE, render in a high-quality codec like ProRes 422 or ProRes HQ.  Then use Apple Compressor to create the files m2v & AC3 files for DVD authoring.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 30, 2012 11:47 AM   in reply to Mynka Doll

That's a pain, and one I know well:  I cut on FCP at work, and often do AE work at home on a Windows machine.  You'll need the latest version of Quicktime 7 for Windows: free download.

You'll be able to READ ProRes 422, but you can't WRITE ProRes 422.  Your options will be to render QT movies in the ProRes HQ or PNG codecs. 

You can also render Image sequences, and if you want to do that I recommend PNG sequences.  There are two varieties of PNG: image sequence and QT movie codec.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points