Skip navigation
formerfatboys
Currently Being Moderated

Graphics cards and After Effects, Premiere Pro, and Sony Vegas...which is best?

Apr 30, 2012 5:24 PM

Debating between two EVGA cards for a new build.

I don't game at all, but I want the most kickass system I can for After Effects CS6, Premiere Pro CS6, and Sony Vegas.

Kepler option: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6814130768

Fermi option: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6814130687

Will spending more and waiting for Kepler net that much of a performance gain? Is there anywhere with good benchmarks on GPUs just for Adobe products and video editing? Which matters more and for what: OpenGL, Cuda, Memory Size, Clock speed?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 30, 2012 10:37 PM   in reply to formerfatboys

Pointless discussion. Read the system requirements for Premiere and AE and then make up your mind how important some of the GPU features are to you. Any card not listed there is not supported and that is that. Everything else is a waste of tiem.

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
    May 1, 2012 11:49 PM   in reply to formerfatboys

The 680 won't be able to use the ray-tracing 3D renderer in After Effects CS6, so for now, that should probably be off the table.

|
    Mark as:
    May 4, 2012 8:24 PM   in reply to Jim Simon

To be precise, Jim's statement should be this:

The GTX 680 can't be used by the current version of After Effects for GPU acceleration of the ray-traced 3D renderer.

If you look at our recent history with Premiere Pro, you may have noticed a pattern of updates adding support for specific GPUs. One might presume that the After Effects team would behave in a similar fashion.

I am making no promises, and I will not comment on specifics of what may or may not come in future updates or future versions.

I recommend paying close attention for updates as a matter of general practice.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points