Skip navigation
Skysi
Currently Being Moderated

Lightroom 4.1 turns off my computer on import and export (???)

Apr 22, 2012 12:50 PM

Without any warning my computer simplu shuts down, similar to the effect of unplugging it from the power outlet. No shutdown screen or anything. This happens somewhere during the process of exporting or importing photos. Any ideas?

Serge

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 22, 2012 12:59 PM   in reply to Skysi

Serge,

Your computer is probably overheating. This is often caused by a buildup of dust. Try vacuuming it out.

Another potential problem is having one of your fans not working. Make sure that they all are spinning. One could have come unplugged or have a stray cable blocking its motion.

Hal

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 23, 2012 12:08 AM   in reply to Skysi

Have you actually run a CPU temperature monitor to check? Overheating would have been my first guess as well, as I've had a similar issue in the past. In fact I had it happen on my current system once, which also has liquid cooling, and it turned out to be dust on the radiator for the cooler which caused the problem.

I would think it would be worth running a monitor to at least eliminate overheating as a possible cause.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 24, 2012 11:59 AM   in reply to Skysi

Still, what about trying it at stock frequency?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 26, 2012 3:30 PM   in reply to Skysi

Did you measure (and log) all temperatures just before shutdown?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 29, 2012 10:44 PM   in reply to Skysi

It is LR4 that is causing your computer to shut down. I am having the same problems, even running cooling fans.

Doing bascis computing, my core temps are in the 50;s-60's, even running multiple applications. Once I open LR4 (no other applications open), the temp goes into the 70's. After viewing a few pictures (yes, just viewing), the temp goes up to about 80. Forget the Develope Module - it will shut my computer down in just a few minutes.

I have reported this to Adobe, and a tech responded that LR4 does put a load on computers and make them run hotter. He sent me directions on how to lower the performance on my computer, saying that it should make my computer run cooler. Now I ask you, why would I want to lower the performance of my computer? He also said that I should check for dust (not the problem), as many have on this subject. Why, I ask, is this problem only noted on LR4? It never happened on LR3,  CS6 beta, or any other application I run.

Lets not even go into LR4 being a RAM hog...

I don't use LR4 anymore, and won't until they get this issue fixed. I kept LR3 and glad I did. I use that.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 29, 2012 11:48 PM   in reply to Skysi

Yeah! That is trully unbelievable!

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 30, 2012 12:26 AM   in reply to Skysi

Skysi, I'm sure you won't notice any RAM performance issues. I don't know if you have a gaget to monitor core temps, but I found this gaget to be fairly accurate.

http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 30, 2012 9:55 AM   in reply to Skysi

I was having a simular problem, always happened when I was working in the develop module, not import/export.  Figured it had to be a hardware/overheating issue so I called the manufacturer (Toshiba Laptop).  They replaced the motherboard, cooling modules and fans last week and I haven't had the problem since.   LR may just be causing a system that is already on the edge of failure to fail by pusing it just a little harder.  I ocassionally had the shutoff problem with the old board in PS CS5 when doing heavy processing, but  with LR4 was an every time I used it problem.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 30, 2012 7:45 PM   in reply to Skysi

Something is failing and shuting the system off, LR is just the offender that is pushing it that far.  The tech that replaced the parts in my system said that he sees that problem alot when the video is pushed too hard due to the heat generated by todays video cards.  Do you have the latest video drivers installed?  As I understand it LR really stresses the video.  Not trying to say that LR doesn't have issues, it does, but if your system in shuting off, you have a hardware issue in your system also.  Software can only stress the system not cut the power, something on the board is doing that.  All of the tests you have done only means that your not doing the same things LR is doing.  My system started like yours is acting and over a period of months and got to the point that when I opened a D800 Raw file in the develop module it would power off almost every time, in LR 3.6 also, just not as often.  When  I started using LR 4 the problem became like yours, the mainboard was replaced and the problem hasn't showed up since.  If your overclocking your CPU, you are really stressing the system, temp readings don't always tell the whole story.  I built computers and owned and maintained the servers and hardware for a small ISP for about 15 years, so I seen lots of failures and replaced lots of hardware.  If your computer is just shutting off you have a hardware issue that will continue to get worse, LR is stressing it enough to reveal the fault where nothing else is.  I hope that this helps you out and allows you to see and believe what is really happening.

|
    Mark as:
    May 1, 2012 4:20 AM   in reply to Skysi

I think that uou just solved your own problem.  You're overclocking the CPU is what is causing the problem.  It's a well known fact that when you overclock you are exceededing the speeds at which things were proven reliable by tests.  Sometimes there is no problem other times, like now, there are.  When you overclock a CPU you are introducing a problem into an otherwise reliable system.  Stop overclocking and the problem you're creating will go aware. Adobe is not causing the problem, you are by exceeding the tested clock speds of the CPU, system board, memory, etc.

|
    Mark as:
    May 1, 2012 4:58 AM   in reply to kbutzin

kbutzin, read my post on April 29...

|
    Mark as:
    May 1, 2012 5:43 AM   in reply to Frank-o_G

Frank,

Are you also overclocking?

If the CPU could be run at a higher freq and be reliable under all conditions, don't yuou think Intel would up the CPU rating and sell them at a higher price?  They don't because it's not reliable and creates an unstable system.

If your not overclocking, then I check the fans and cooling componets, get rid of all the dust.  The cooling componets should be able to keep the CPU within a normal temp range for a normally clocked system.  If not then something is not functioning at optimal levels, slow fans, dust, etc.

|
    Mark as:
    May 7, 2012 4:58 AM   in reply to kbutzin

Sorry for the delay, kbutzin... No, I do not overclock my computer. As a matter of fact, I had to Gooogle it to find out exactly what it was. That one was a little beyond me, LOL.

One of the reasons I haven't replied is because I've been spending time in LR4 doing catch up. I have not done a thing to my computer, not changed a single setting, yet I am not having a heating problem anymore. I can't explain this sudden turnaround, as Adobe hasn't provided us with any updates yet (I have NOT downloaded RC 1 or 2).

Also, the RAM usage problem I mentioned earlier seems to have disappeared.  I am nowhere near a computer expert, but it seems to me that Adobe had to have done something to the Lightroom programing to fix this heat and RAM problem.  Any thoughts?

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points