Skip navigation
MrBryce2000
Currently Being Moderated

Premiere CS4 Virtual Video Mixer

May 1, 2012 10:52 AM

Greetings,

I teach a Photo / Video Editing class at my high school. A few of my students help me film and produce DVDs of our drama productions. We use three cameras for three different angles. Here is the issue:

• we have a large auditorium, so we can't use our video mixer
  • editing takes a very long time with footage from three cameras.

Here is how we have edited the productions in the past:

• capture all of the footage from all three cameras (MiniDV tapes)
  • insert footage from the cameras into separate video tracks
  • use the Razor tool to slice and remove footage that we don't want (in order to "switch" camera angles)

Editing this way allows us to be specific and use the angles that we want, but obviously takes a great deal of time (3 weeks for a two hour production last year).

This year, we had to film three nights of our production. That's three tapes from each camera (27 tapes, nine hours of footage for each night)!

My question is:  does Premiere have a virtual "video mixer" where I can see the captured footage from each camera simultaneously in three different preview windows? Then, like a real video mixer, can I watch all three and choose which camera I want, which will in turn be placed into the timeline?

I hope I am making sense. This would literally save me months of editing, if this is possible!

Thank you for your time.

~ Bryce Holland

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 1, 2012 11:29 AM   in reply to MrBryce2000

I have CS5 so can't say for sure what CS4 will do... download the PDF for your version and search for

multi-camera

For easy searching, download the product user guide PDF(s)

The individual CS5 pages also have links to the earlier user guide pages

CS5 User Guides - online and PDF (right click PDF link to save PDF to your hard drive)

http://blogs.adobe.com/premiereprotraining/2010/08/help-documents-for- creative-suite-5-pdf-and-html.html

|
    Mark as:
    May 1, 2012 11:45 AM   in reply to MrBryce2000

basically, no...without pro equipment and switching live and recording to hard drive at a digital station ( DIT ) using cables from output of each camera I cant think how you could do it different than what youre doing on your budget etc.

this isnt a great sample...but was 3 cameras like your thing...and i did it more or less like you do yours now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZy_5MgnxRU

but maybe i did something a little different that might speed things up for you...

use many sequences...same project settings etc...just new sequences so you basically take what is GOOD from cam a, b, c, and stick that stuff into a new sequence...then you have another sequence called 'roughcut ' or something...where you'll tweak sound etc...and is more or less your final visual stuff...and export from that final sequence

its hard to explain without getting into this for a long time, but basically by getting the a,b,c, stuff separated it becomes easier to work with and faster to scrub through stuff to make your final edit.

i used copy paste for stuff i cut out of original material so that the original stuff is always THERE...i dont move it except to raise it one level so i know at a glance what I've USED.. if you can visualize that ??  So cam a, b,c would really have 6 levels of video...original and used for each one.

good luck, sounds like a fun thing to do....shoot drama etc.

ps...johns suggestion re: multicamera might work for you...I personally did a tutorial with that multicamera thing and hated it...as it wasnt accurate enough for me, but it might work OK for your stuff...

|
    Mark as:
    May 1, 2012 12:07 PM   in reply to MrBryce2000

My question is:  does Premiere have a virtual "video mixer" where I can see the captured footage from each camera simultaneously in three different preview windows? Then, like a real video mixer, can I watch all three and choose which camera I want, which will in turn be placed into the timeline?

YES! Its called Multicam.

See this help file for multicam in CS4: http://help.adobe.com/en_US/PremierePro/4.0/WSC29F4BF4-C2EA-4ad5-879E- 778C2740A768.html

This is one of many tutorials on Youtube on multicam in CS4: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFcxfupCgyE

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points