Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

InDesign color management workflow help

May 1, 2012 8:54 AM

Tags: #color #indesign #management #workflow #swop #press

Hello,

I recently had to create a 60 page color booklet for a University on a very tight schedule. The booklet was to be printed to press. I was not given any specifics as to the output specifics.

So, I was creating vector graphics in Illustrator as CMYK, and importing them in InDesign. And receieving e-mail with bitmat images in formats from JPG, TIFF, PDF, PNG. and I would place them directly into InDesign. If I had to do any photoshoping of a picture, I would conver the sRGB original to CMYK.

I have been reading discussion about color management workflow. But I am still not clear what I should have been doing with the roughly 100 image files sent me to be in the booklet?

Somewhere I read the way I did it was okay, as long as I let InDesign handle image conversion on the output? Is this correct? When I went to make my Package for the printer, I did get the Triangle "warning" that some images were sRGB. The PDFs looked great.

What should I have done as all these images came in? It was a crazy deadline. I can't imagine having to open every image in Photoshop -Convert to CMYK-Adjust colors and resave and import?

And what do you do if you don't know the specific output printer? I default to SWOP.

So, will InDesign, convert any incorrect (sRGB etc) images on the final output to the proper colorspace to be printed properly?

Thanks

Robin

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 1, 2012 10:27 AM   in reply to Picturequest

InDesign will convert RGB to CMYK when you're exporting as PDF files IF (big IF) you choose PDF/X-1a as your PDF preset. Some of the other PDF presets (e.g., Press Quality) don't do this conversion. Their color conversion setting is No Conversion.

SWOP is a reasonable output assuming your printer didn't give you a customized CMYK profile to install with instructions to install it (most North American printers don't do this).

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 1, 2012 1:19 PM   in reply to Picturequest

PDF/X-3 will also support converting RGB to CMYK. PDF/X-4 does no color conversion. It's useful when the printer's RIP will handle the color management.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points