Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Limited media options

Apr 29, 2012 12:50 AM

From what I can gather, we're limited to DPX, Quicktime, and some RAW media formats. No AVCHD, MTS, MXF, etc. formatted files?  Doesn't that defeat the purpose of being able to use any media type in Premiere Pro?  That's a huge disappointment and one of the main reasons I don't want to use Resolve.  Is this something that's going to change, and hopefully soon?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 29, 2012 10:54 AM   in reply to mikeh_es

Patience. This is the 1.0 version of software recently purchased. Lots of things bound to change as time goes on.

|
    Mark as:
    May 1, 2012 12:12 PM   in reply to mikeh_es

Like you, I'm eagerly awaiting the release but I'm pretty skeptical about Speedgrade at this point. It really looks like the redheaded stepchild that was adopted at age 11 by CS6.  Between the limited media formats and the lack of support for the Euphonix MC Colour panel it looks like it's really crippled for me.  I'm planning on running Resolve for colour grading.  Since Speedgrade will only support EDL and not any dynamic linking for a round-trip through Premiere it seems like a no-brainer to get Resolve or Resolve Lite that supports more than two colour surfaces and will have a lot of new features to support dailies and audio in its version 9.0 release.

|
    Mark as:
    May 1, 2012 12:21 PM   in reply to Tayedrummer

Repeat...

This is the 1.0 version of software recently purchased. Lots of things bound to change as time goes on.

Use what you want until it meets your needs. But given all the other things done to Premiere Pro and AE this cycle, its pretty understandable that its still not integrated and refined.

|
    Mark as:
    May 2, 2012 6:56 AM   in reply to mikeh_es

Hi Mikeh,

SpeedGrade also supports CIN, TGA, TIFF, OpenEXR, JPG, PNG and pretty much every RAW format out there (including some formats that you'll hardly find supported anywhere like Phantom and Weisscam - all in real time over 1 GPU).

Aside from the issue that the list is not the same as with Premiere Pro (and I won't argue with you at all - it is desireable to make both products use the same formats A-Z), SpeedGrade has  broad format support compared to any grading system out there.

As the past of the application was rather "ultra high end" = film centric, something like P2 or AVCHD wasn't a focus in development (and it would have been hard for a smaller company like IRIDAS  to implement all that). Now that SpeedGrade is part of the Adobe family, the game has changed for sure.

That aside, I would rather look at creative options and general workflow options as well as total cost of ownership: SpeedGrade is layer-based, it's got tons of fantastic new features in CS6 like the opacity slider (that would even allow for blending a LUT into the composition), and it is strictly single CPU, single GPU. Easy to build, easy to use, easy to maintain.

Cheers,

Pat

|
    Mark as:
    May 2, 2012 9:12 AM   in reply to Patrick J. Palmer

Personally, I wont use SpeedGrade until it supports the ability to dynamically link clips on the PrP timeline to SpeedGrade.

Sending out an entire project sequence when revisions are ongoing is not an efficient way to color correct.

|
    Mark as:
    May 2, 2012 9:32 PM   in reply to lasvideo

Personally, I wont use SpeedGrade until it supports the ability to dynamically link clips on the PrP timeline to SpeedGrade.

I bet you wont be able to help your self and will use it.  (Maybe a workflow change regarding "revisions which are ongoing".)

I still work the old school way which means I leave FX, CC and grade till late in the edit process.  No way do I waste time and money outputting edit versions with "the full noise".   In fact I still call them "ruffcuts".

I expect it will be some considerable time before it is Dynamically linked to PPRO or AEFX.

Also...DPX is a very robust format as used in Da Vinci Resolve. 

I am a big fan of intermediate workflows and find them more efficient to manage at project level.

|
    Mark as:
    May 3, 2012 6:13 AM   in reply to shooternz

shooternz - I bet you wont be able to help your self and will use it

Good thing you dont live in Vegas...this is a bet you would lose. 

I feel confident that with Wes Plate from Auto Duck on board that this will be implemented in the future. Until then my projects will be best served by continued use of Colorista 2.

|
    Mark as:
    May 5, 2012 10:07 PM   in reply to lasvideo

I will be watching you.

|
    Mark as:
    May 7, 2012 1:54 PM   in reply to shooternz

The limited control surface options stopped me cold.  Tangent wave is an terrible surface to work on.  The Euphonix MC Color is compact enough that I can take it on set, comfortable enough to spend hours working on and speeds up my work exponentially.  Button layout is efficient and this surface is supported by most grading platforms out there. 

|
    Mark as:
    May 15, 2012 12:35 AM   in reply to lasvideo
    Sending out an entire project sequence when revisions are ongoing is not an efficient way to color correct.

True dat!

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points