Skip navigation
Crackermd
Currently Being Moderated

Fast CPU

Apr 29, 2012 3:04 PM

Xeon E5-2687W or 2600k or Core i7-3960X? Performance worth the price ?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 29, 2012 3:19 PM   in reply to Crackermd

It depends what your work flow is. For many folks the 2687W is over kill and not the best bang for your buck. But if you do a lot of Red / Epic work those dual xeons do the heavy lifting you may need. You pay dearly for the technology though.. Here is the system I am buying. As a 30 year veteren I know what kind of demands clients will make of me and my system.

Screen Shot 2012-04-27 at 4.46.22 PM.png

This doesnt include the cost of a Kona 3 card and a very fast raid system I am repurposing from my Mac Pro.

Its above $10,000. Carefully evaluate your needs. The other systems probably are around half the cost. 

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 29, 2012 4:32 PM   in reply to Crackermd

Sorry, Im an editor not a computer builder    The above computer is being built by ADK.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 29, 2012 11:14 PM   in reply to Crackermd

This is somewhat akin to:

I want to buy a used car with two wheels only. I don't want more wheels. Any to recommend? Oh, I already ordered the gas.

Good luck with that approach.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 30, 2012 9:52 AM   in reply to Crackermd

Unfortunately, you will have to go with the P9X79 WS if you want a single-socket Asus LGA 2011 motherboard that supports any of the Xeon E5 CPUs. None of the other X79 mobos from Asus support any Xeons at all.

Also, keep in mind that all of the Xeons are permanently locked to their stock speeds (multiplier-wise); therefore, you can only overclock them via the BCLK (and then, there is no guarantee at all whatsoever that the CPUs will even run stably at the higher BCLKs). Because of this, a stock E5-2687 actually performs slower than an overclocked i7-3930K or i7-3960X.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 30, 2012 10:04 AM   in reply to Crackermd

The plain P9X79 does not officially support any Xeons at all.

In addition, the plain P9X79 does not have a hardware or firmware RAID controller whatsoever since the Intel X79 native SATA controller supports only the Intel software-only RAID that Intel has been using on its workstation chipsets.

Message was edited by: RjL190365

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 30, 2012 10:13 AM   in reply to Crackermd

Why don't you just forget the Xeon and avoid all these problems

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 30, 2012 10:20 AM   in reply to Crackermd

Unfortunately, there are compromises between cost and compatibility, in this case. MSI and Intel do not list a motherboard that's compatible with any Xeon E5 CPU. For Gigabyte, only those X79 mobos that have only four DIMM slots are compatible. And ASRock lists several - but that's because all of ASRock's motherboards have only four DIMM slots. Why cripple a Xeon with a maximum RAM capacity of only 32GB that's forced by the motherboard's limited number of DIMM slots?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 30, 2012 11:05 AM   in reply to Crackermd

Here's a down and dirty guideline that I would use for myself.

Unless you're planning on dual-CPUs, forget Xeon.

|
    Mark as:
    May 1, 2012 8:39 PM   in reply to Crackermd

As has been mentioned by many others, there is no point getting a Xeon processor if you plan on having a single CPU system.  The Xeons are pretty much just i7s that are designed to work in tandem. Just build a single CPU system around a 3930K. A 3960X has an 80% price increase for barely a 10% speed increase over the 3930K.  Unless you're constantly rendering massive 3D projects you probably won't see much benefit for the added cost. Put the extra money in RAM and an awesome video card.  For the 3930K, Asrock has a number of great, reasonably priced motherboards that include 8 ram slots so you can juice up your system with 64GB. 

If you really want a dual processor system, find yourself a handy nerd and build one around an EVGA SR-X board. Don't bother with 2687s (overkill and overpriced).  For CS6, you'd be knocking it out of the park with a pair of 2640s and saving $2500 to boot.  Honestly, you don't have to spend anywhere near $10K to have a killer edit system--unless you're after bragging rights or you have money to burn.

|
    Mark as:
    May 1, 2012 9:10 PM   in reply to Evil Edison

Evil - Unless you're constantly rendering massive 3D projects you probably won't see much benefit for the added cost.

Not entirely true. You will get much faster exports of most timelines , faster rendering in AE (If you give the Xeons  the ram  they need to really perform) and the capability to have more video layers when working with Red and Epic files. So if your work flow benefits from any of these enhancements, it might be worth your investment.

|
    Mark as:
    May 1, 2012 9:16 PM   in reply to lasvideo

lasvideo wrote:

Not entirely true. You will get much faster exports of most timelines , faster rendering in AE (If you give the Xeons  the ram  they need to really perform) and the capability to have more video layers when working with Red and Epic files. So if your work flow benefits from any of these enhancements, it might be worth your investment.

That's true - but only if two identical CPUs are used. With only a single CPU, the DP-capable Xeon is at a disadvantage because most if not all of them are clocked lower than the slowest LGA 2011 i7, and the ones that are as fast as an equivalent LGA 2011 i7 but without the overclocking capability will cost as much money as or more than that equivalent i7.

However, dual-CPU systems have an additional switching latency, such that its performance is nowhere near twice as fast as an otherwise identical system with a single such CPU.

|
    Mark as:
    May 1, 2012 9:25 PM   in reply to RjL190365

Yes, I have only seen dual Sandy Bridge EP configurations.  Actually, testing done by the vendor making my system say latency has been addressed and the performance is amazing. Maybe not twice as fast, but enough to make it worth my while as I move from an early 2008 Mac Pro 

|
    Mark as:
    May 1, 2012 9:29 PM   in reply to lasvideo

lasvideo wrote:

Evil - Unless you're constantly rendering massive 3D projects you probably won't see much benefit for the added cost.

Seems to me, more and more operations are being passed off to the GPU--especially for CS6.  Personally, I think the money is better invested in graphics and ram or stashed away in an account so I can upgrade again next year when my 3930K and your 2687s are obsolete. Fact is, having the fastest of the fast is nice, but nothing will beat skill and talent.  I haven't met a client who wouldn't gladly wait an extra twenty seconds for a render if I make it worth their while. 

|
    Mark as:
    May 1, 2012 9:37 PM   in reply to Evil Edison

Oh please....after 30 years skill and talent are not an issue for me. Get a system that can speed up rather slow Premiere exports is an issue (you must not work on long form or projects with lots of effects if your clients only have to wait an extra 20 sec.). Replacing an ageing Mac Pro is an issue. Speeding up AE with 64GB of ram for intensive projects is an issue. You are more than welcome to wait as long as you like. Im fixing to get tyhis system in the near future....

Screen Shot 2012-04-27 at 4.46.22 PM.png

It will be supplemented with a Kona 3 and a Maxx Digital raid (745MB/sec).

Having skill, talent and speed is a wonderful combination.

Early Mac Pro 2008 3,1

2 - 3.2 Xeons

24 GB ram

Quadro 4000

Maxx Digital raid array (750MB/sec.)

Lion 10.7.3           

www.hdshotsandcuts.com

|
    Mark as:
    May 1, 2012 9:37 PM   in reply to Evil Edison

Actually, with higher-resolution videos, those twenty seconds worth of difference could turn into several minutes to several hours, depending on the length of the video project.

|
    Mark as:
    May 1, 2012 10:23 PM   in reply to RjL190365

RjL190365 wrote:

Actually, with higher-resolution videos, those twenty seconds worth of difference could turn into several minutes to several hours, depending on the length of the video project.

You just need to stock up on good jokes to tell while you wait

|
    Mark as:
    May 1, 2012 10:26 PM   in reply to lasvideo

lasvideo wrote:

Oh please....after 30 years skill and talent are not an issue for me. Get a system that can speed up rather slow Premiere exports is an issue (you must not work on long form or projects with lots of effects if your clients only have to wait an extra 20 sec.). Replacing an ageing Mac Pro is an issue. Speeding up AE with 64GB of ram for intensive projects is an issue. You are more than welcome to wait as long as you like. Im fixing to get tyhis system in the near future....

Having skill, talent and speed is a wonderful combination.

www.hdshotsandcuts.com

Well, I tip my hat to you.  Armed with this new system it sounds like you will truly be a force to be reckoned with.

|
    Mark as:
    May 2, 2012 8:02 AM   in reply to Evil Edison

That very well might be...but first I have to get over the sticker shock of what it will cost me  

|
    Mark as:
    May 2, 2012 8:18 AM   in reply to lasvideo

lasvideo wrote:

That very well might be...but first I have to get over the sticker shock of what it will cost me  

No worries.  I'm sure those demanding clients will help you pay it off in a week or two.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points