Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

PS CS6 Beta - Crop tool problems

May 1, 2012 10:44 AM

Generally, i think the new crop tool is pretty good. However, i'm having some problems with predefined sizes / areas.Let me try to explain:

1. For example, I have a scanned image that is 26.14 x 20.32 cm @300ppi

2. I have defined a size called 'Half Page' which is 23.5 x 15.5 cm @300ppi

Now, what i would expect is that:

1. The moment i open the scanned image, click the crop tool and select the 'Half Page' setting, the crop boundaries would show up up at the correct setting in terms of size and resolution.

2. I should then have a window within which i could move the image to get the parts i want into the crop box.

This is not happening:

1. The crop size (box) is showing as 23.5 x 15.5.

2. The info is showing as 26.14 x 17.24

3. The image size is showing the same and @ 300ppi.

Obviously, i'm probably doing something wrong or else...

Grateful for any help!

Cheers!

S

Replies
  • Noel Carboni
    23,470 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    May 1, 2012 11:09 AM   in reply to shunithD

The Crop Tool assumes you want to resample your image when you specify the sizes in physical units and provide a ppi value, so it derives your aspect ratio from the size fields and sets the crop boundaries to have just that aspect ratio, but covering as much of the image as is possible.  Is this what you're seeing?

CropPreset.jpg

If you really want it to crop to a particular fixed pixel count, without resampling, a better approach would be to define your "half page" preset in terms of horizontal px x vertical px units.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,470 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    May 1, 2012 12:28 PM   in reply to shunithD

That's reasonable - Info is showing you what you have enclosed in the crop boundary at the current ppi, not what you'll get after the crop.

Since I have described what it DOES do (and what it has always done), I guess my question to you is this:  What, specifically, are you expecting it to do?

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,470 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    May 2, 2012 8:34 AM   in reply to shunithD

I have to agree with you in that case (specifying pixels), but I guess that's just not the way they made it work.  I suppose the idea is that they expect you to always interactively choose how much of the image you want retained - that's in keeping with the way it's always worked.

Frankly, I too had thought it would work the other way when pixels are specified (and no ppi value entered), though I should have tried it myself.  Sorry about that.

This could be another option for you, possibly, if your image is flat...

Make the image a layer, choose Image - Canvas Size, and select the (smaller) size you want.  Then move the image around in the canvas with the Move Tool.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,470 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    May 3, 2012 10:35 AM   in reply to shunithD

Yes, I was thinking about being able to move the layer around, but of course you can select multiple layers and move them all together.

You might want to describe what it is you'd like the Crop Tool to be able to do over on the feature request site:

http://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family

-Noel

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points