Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Clarity/shadows + distortion correction = terrible artefacts in high contrast areas

May 1, 2012 2:00 PM

common example (clarity and shadows +100):

without distortion correction

20120501-135047-2.jpg

with distortion correction

20120501-135047.jpg

Raw file: nycz.info/temp/castle.dng

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 1, 2012 2:33 PM   in reply to Josh74x

A version of Lightroom and an OS would be nice.

|
    Mark as:
    May 1, 2012 3:21 PM   in reply to Josh74x

I can reproduce this on your image by sliding the distortion slider from 0 to 100.

|
    Mark as:
    May 1, 2012 6:06 PM   in reply to Josh74x

I can reproduce with your image, and with some of my own images (Canon 40D CR2 Raws) containing tree branches against a bright sky.

LR 4.1 RC2 64 Bit, Windows 7, so it happens on both OS.

Observations:

- Artefacts are visible for moderate clarity or shadow alone, too (both at +100 makes them appear very clear).

- Artefacts are visible for negative shadows, too (increase exposure to see them)

- Artefacts do not appear for negative clarity alone

- Lights, white and black alone do not appear to cause any artecacts

- Artefacts appear for all 5 types of manual transformation, including rotation and scaling [!]

- Artefacts appear for profile-based lens corrections, too!

- Artefacts also appear when applying clarity and/or shadow using graduated filter or brush

- Depending on the transformation, artefacts can appear lighter or darker, or disappear alltogether for specific transformations.

- A very faint "hint" of the artefacts can sometimes be seen already before applying any transformation (they do not disturb though).

- JPEGs are affected, too.

- Artefacts do not appear when rotating using the crop tool.

- Artefacts do not appear for PV2010 and using fill light and clarity.

This is serious. @Josh74x: You should by all means post this problem on the feedback forum.

Edit: An example from a Canon 40D CR2 raw (100% crop): First image: Adobe defaults except clarity and shadows = +100 (no transformations):

20090614-IMG_0390-1.jpg

Second image: Lens profile correction set to Auto (EF-S 10-22mm lens):

20090614-IMG_0390-2.jpg

Third image: Lens profile correction switched off again, manual transformation scaling set to 96:

20090614-IMG_0390-3.jpg

|
    Mark as:
    May 1, 2012 8:18 PM   in reply to Josh74x

I can reproduce this on high contrast edges with my own images (Canon G11 RAW, OSX Snow Leopard, RC2). The combination of high clarity, high shadows and enable profile lens corrections clicked on, gives very very visible distortions. If I click the lens profile corrections off and check closely at high magnifications, the artifacts are still there but not so visible.

I picked this up on edited images, not just trying to reproduce a bug.

|
    Mark as:
    May 1, 2012 10:47 PM   in reply to Susan S.

The adhoc fix I'm using for images where it's causing problems is to paint out the problem areas with a localised adjustment brush with a very large hit of negative clarity. As most of the problem areas have been pretty small it's an easy fix, but I'd like to see the issue addressed before the final comes out as close examination has shown it up on quite a few images (reflective mike against black stage background, pier edges against a bright but cloudy sky, tree branches against the sky). I've also now set my default to having lens profile distortion off and only using it where I need it.

Edit to add: Unfortunately on the image I'm working on at the moment, it only removes it as long as clarity is set to less than 50 - I need the lens adjustment to get the horizon flat, and I want the clarity, but if I try to have both I'm getting nasty white streaks along the pylons of a pier and it shows at screen size  let alone on prints or 100 per cent view.  With this particular image any amount of clarity over about 15 and the profile image adjustment is producing ghastly results, visible at small sizes.

Edit again - urggggh. Manual adjustment to level horizons (beach images again) using lens correction plus clarity isn't good either. I've got rather a lot of those and basically can't use any amount of clarity or I start getting areas of light stripes along dark high contrast edges. However if i go to the crop and straighten settings,  and straighten there, it's fine.

Edit again: Ok this is an app killer. Back to Lightroom 4.0 (If I can work out how!). Too many of my images are affected, and affected noticeably. What a shame as the defringing in RC2 is absolutely fantastic on long lenses, but this is affecting too much stuff.

I'm getting it  on quite a few images I've done nothing to excepted converted them to LR4 - it's very clear on the before/after previews of PV2010 and PV2012. And the edges don't have to be that high contrast - I'm not sure if this screen shot shows it clearly enough but conversion gives a row of little white dashes along the green girder in the attached images Click on images to see them a bit larger- the first image shows small size before and after comparison with problem area highlighted - nothing done except change process PV2010 to PV2012; second image shows PV2012 magnified a bit. Turning off the enable profile corrections button returns image to PV2010 appearance. Removing  clarity  adjustment will also remove artifacting -  in this case it's the clarity that is mucking things up. I can get the same artefacts with clarity on zero and the shadows pushed up above 70. Clarity gives problems at much lower settings.

ArtifactsLRRC2.jpg

Screensot2.jpg

|
    Mark as:
    May 2, 2012 1:49 AM   in reply to Josh74x

Looks like Adobe might be aware of this issue - at least so far as ACR goes... ACR6.7 just got released yesterday as a final (as you may know, it's been out as a  release candidiate for probably around two months now) and I was just reading the release notes, having seen this thread earlier on. One of the fixed issues caught my eye:

"Black halo/speckle artifacts could appear when performing an image warp.  Examples of warps include lens profile adjustments and rotating the image."

Sounds as though this has been fixed in ACR, but has now become an issue in the latest LR4.1 RC instead! I therefore suspect that, when 4.1. if finally fully released, they should have sorted this issue. In the meantime, I'll avoid 4.1 RC2.

M

|
    Mark as:
    May 2, 2012 2:28 AM   in reply to Mollysnoot

Mollysnoot wrote:

Looks like Adobe might be aware of this issue - at least so far as ACR goes... ACR6.7 just got released yesterday as a final (as you may know, it's been out as a  release candidiate for probably around two months now) and I was just reading the release notes, having seen this thread earlier on. One of the fixed issues caught my eye:

"Black halo/speckle artifacts could appear when performing an image warp.  Examples of warps include lens profile adjustments and rotating the image."

I just installed the ACR 6.7 final update, and when I open my test image (see above) in Photoshop CS5, I see exactly the same artefacts as LR produces (image is rendered by PS). So the issue seems to be not fixed, despite the release notes...

|
    Mark as:
    May 2, 2012 2:44 AM   in reply to Josh74x

Note: There seems to be the same problem here: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/995958?tstart=0

Especially see the example of Ray8868.

|
    Mark as:
    May 2, 2012 3:25 AM   in reply to LRuser24

How about if you try processing the image in ACR, not LR, using the same settings (you'd probably need to reset everything first before opening the file in ACR)? Probably won't make any difference, at least in theory (as you say, PS is doing the rendering in this situation after all), but maybe worth a shot.

M

|
    Mark as:
    May 2, 2012 3:54 AM   in reply to Mollysnoot

I can confirm LRusers result that opening one of my many "test" images with problems  in LR 4.1RC2 into the final version of ACR6.7 in PS you get the same artifacting as in LR 4.1RC2. (Interestingly you don't get any of the fancy new defringing if you have applied it- I presume that will be in ACR  in PSCS6 only)

Mollysnoot - ACR 6.7 doesn't have all the controls for PV2012 as it's strictly speaking one version behind LR4.0 so you can't do much processing. But just for giggles and for completeness, I opened my PV2010 version of a problematic file (which has never been opened into LR 4 - I have duplicates of  my recent files as I am still evaluating LR4 on the trial period) straight into ACR 6.7 hosted in PS; PV2010 looks fine; then I switched to PV2012 and bingo, lots of nasty light streaks along dark edges. So it (as one would expect) makes no difference.

|
    Mark as:
    May 2, 2012 4:46 AM   in reply to Susan S.

Susan S. wrote:

Mollysnoot - ACR 6.7 doesn't have all the controls for PV2012 as it's strictly speaking one version behind LR4.0 so you can't do much processing. But just for giggles and for completeness, I opened my PV2010 version of a problematic file (which has never been opened into LR 4 - I have duplicates of  my recent files as I am still evaluating LR4 on the trial period) straight into ACR 6.7 hosted in PS; PV2010 looks fine; then I switched to PV2012 and bingo, lots of nasty light streaks along dark edges. So it (as one would expect) makes no difference.

Doh! Of course that's the case. I did know that, but it slipped my mind when replying earlier on.

Basically then, it seems that the "final" release of ACR for CS5 is, along with LR4.1 RC2, in need of some serious attention regarding this problem.

M

|
    Mark as:
    May 2, 2012 5:36 AM   in reply to Mollysnoot

It looks like any of the tools in the Lens Corrections panel that affect geometry will create the artifacts. This includes Lens Profile Distortion and all of the Manual Transform tools. The Angle tool in the Crop panel does not have this issue.

For now you can prevent this from occurring by changing your Lens Profile default setting to Distortion = 0 and leave all Transform controls = 0. If you need to rotate the image use the Crop tool's Angle adjustment.

This may be due to do changes made when Adobe added the new Defringe tools. It looks like really bad aliasing of the adjustments masks, which hopefully has an easy coding fix.

|
    Mark as:
    May 2, 2012 1:30 PM   in reply to Josh74x

Hi all,

Please read this topic metioning the same problem.

http://forums.adobe.com/message/4374434#4374434

It's the distortion correction in the lens profile which is causing the problem. Boosting the clarity only exaggerates the problem, but is not the source. Please look at my images.

There is no problem in the first Release Candidate.

Hopefully Adobe will listen to this.

Ray

|
    Mark as:
    May 2, 2012 11:42 AM   in reply to Mollysnoot

Because LR4 was released when PS-CS5/ACR6.x were current, ACR 6.7 should be able to read and render any PV2012 adjustments up through LR4.0 at least, you just don't have access to (most of) the PV2012 UI which will be in ACR7.x.

|
    Mark as:
    May 4, 2012 5:44 PM   in reply to ssprengel

Thanks all.  This will be fixed in the final Lr 4.1 release.

|
    Mark as:
    May 4, 2012 6:42 PM   in reply to MadManChan2000

Has the fix been abandoned for the ACR 6.x folks? 

The ACR 6.7RC had an issue with brightness being way off.  The ACR 6.7 final has a problem with the brightness being a little off, as well as these artifacts if geometric lens corrections have been applied.

|
    Mark as:
    May 5, 2012 12:43 AM   in reply to MadManChan2000

What about the other similar bug (I assume it's a different one)?

http://forums.adobe.com/message/4246385

|
    Mark as:
    May 16, 2012 2:58 PM   in reply to MadManChan2000

This look bad...

I just found this bug working and editing photos...

Was going to start a new post bus saw this one, so figured I will add to it.

MadmanChan2000, as you mentioned here, I hope this will be fixed for the final 4.1 release.

LR 4.1 RC2 - Clarity Set to 100

LR 4.1 RC2.png

LR 3.6 - Clarity Set to 100

LR 3.6.png

|
    Mark as:
    May 31, 2012 12:11 PM   in reply to Josh74x

This bug has been fixed in the Lightroom 4.1 release, available now.  To get Lightroom 4.1, go to the Help menu in Lightroom and select Check for Updates, then follow the prompts.  Or, you can download Lightroom 4.1 from adobe.com.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 17, 2012 11:52 AM   in reply to nadavee

http://www.symbolphoto.com/other/temp/LRPSIssue.jpg

Same issue here,

Windows 7, 64bit.

PS CS5.1

LR 4.1 RC2

Editing in PS CS5 using 16bit. My clarity slider is nowhere near 100% and this issue is still occuring.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 17, 2012 1:40 PM   in reply to Brendan Stewart

You need to update to 4.1 final.

Sent from phone.

În data de 17.09.2012 21:47, "Brendan Stewart" <forums@adobe.com> a scris:

Re: Clarity/shadows + distortion correction = terrible artefacts in

high contrast areas  created by Brendan Stewart<http://forums.adobe.com/people/symbolphoto>in

Photoshop Lightroom - View the full discussion<http://forums.adobe.com/message/4705137#4705137

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points