Skip navigation
JonaTec1
Currently Being Moderated

Problem importing a FXG file from Catalyst

May 1, 2012 9:53 AM

Hi

I have Catalyst CS5.5 and now Adobe Photoshop CS5.1 Extended, both 64bit.

I am trying "roundtrip" a Catalyst saved FXG file into Photoshop, but get this error:

dump.JPG

Any ideas please ?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 1, 2012 9:05 PM   in reply to JonaTec1

Probably because photoshop does not support that format. When you use the open dialog box in photoshop, you can look at all the formats that are supported in the drop down box at the bottom of the dialog box.

To my knowedge that format is only supported in flash abd catalyst. (Not sure about flex or after effects)

But catalyst and photoshop both support the psd file format. So in flash export your images as psd then use that format for the go between for catalyst and photoshop if needed. If the graphics are not done yet, then start in photoshop and import into catalyst.

That being said, I don't know if any plug in exists for the fxg format for photoshop, but it may be possible.

|
    Mark as:
    May 1, 2012 9:12 PM   in reply to Silkrooster

Quick update. I did find out that Adobe illustrator supports the fxg format.

|
    Mark as:
    May 1, 2012 11:34 PM   in reply to JonaTec1

As Silkrooster said, PS doesn't support it. FXG is a conatiner format, anyway. It would be impossible for PS to support features like Flash vectors, CSS formatting or embedded scripts. If you need to work on the pixel data, simply use PNGs or PSD exported from your other apps.

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
    May 2, 2012 1:50 AM   in reply to JonaTec1

If you prefer catalyst, then there really isn't anything stopping you, you just have to use psd files not fxg for your artwork. I am kind of curious as to what you mean by wireframe, I am thinking your meaning and mine are two different things. As my background is more 3D.

Maybe post a small mock up of what your doing and someone can advise on an easier way, or just say keep on going...

|
    Mark as:
    May 2, 2012 9:06 PM   in reply to JonaTec1

I don't believe there is a way to export from catalyst in the manner your speaking.  Think of it the same as you would with illustrator files being imported into photoshop as a smart object. That creates the link that allows you to bring up the same illustration in illustrator.

Thats kind of what happens in catalyst, though you can start with a photoshop file, instead of copy/paste to create that link.

I beleive the main reason why catalyst does not have export features, is that it is meant for generating flash content in a web page.

I did some quick tests, and I did find out that if you import an image or you rasterize a shape, you can then use the edit in photoshop command under the modify menu.

Do to the work your doing, I recommend that you look at illustrator and/or fireworks to help streamline your process. Because your process involves html rather than flash, you may want to think about dreamweaver. However, you also may want to hold out for CS6 as flash will have more features for creating html/css/javascript.

My advice above is based on CS5.0 so I may not being seeing some of the html features that the newer version are suppose to have/get.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points