I have 6 documents which I got as IDML-files.
They are originally made in 5.5 - I'm using 5.0. Working on a mac (OSX 10.6.8)
When opening a document ID freezes. Then I make a forced close down - and start ID again. And then the document is opened and I can work on it.
This happens with 5 of the documents - the 6th opens without problems.
Any suggestions on what to do?
But I still can open and work on them - after the crash - like this:
open a file - ID freezes - forced close - and the it opens as it should -
And no, the wasn't send as email attachments. They were uploaded on an ftp-server...
Also, we can debug your hangs.
Run Activity Monitor and select InDesign.
Choose Sample Process. Save the file and upload to http://pastebin.com/.
Then go to View >Send Signal: Abort (SIGABRT) and force the program to crash.
You'll get a crash report. Also upload that to pastebin.
Post the pastebin link here. We'll look at it and tell you what ID is doing when it hangs.
TeR: Please suppress your signature and personal information from your replies. They are public on the Internet for all to see! (Also, removing the quoted text is helpful too).
The data you provided looks like a normally functioning InDesign. Did you wait for it to freeze before collecting the data?
Yes I guess I waited - but I made a test today... and waited a long time (ID - not answering) before making the forced close of ID -
The report is her: http://pastebin.com/VH0nqqvR
Den 30/04/2012 kl. 16.40 skrev John Hawkinson:
OK, this hang report does show a problem; it's not quite as definitive
as the two reports I asked for initially, but it shows InDesign
stuck in the font manager.
This is consistent with a damaged or corrupt font (or something else
about the font that confuses InDesign).
Assuming you can reproduce this problem, the general answere is to
remove all non-system fonts and add them back in by halves (divide and
conquer) until you find the source of the problem. I realize this may
take a while...
I tried to switch off all non-system fonts - and now the document opened - and the ID froze. But actually it was a step further than before because i came as far as viewing the document .. I've put the report here:
That looks like the same font problem. Having the real crash report (from Send Signal: Abort) would be more clear though.
Do you have a Document Fonts folder in the directory with the IDML files?
Do you have some 3rd party font management tool that might be adding fonts?
I'm not certain what you mean with Having the real crash report (from Send Signal: Abort) could you explain what I should do?
And yes there a 'document fonts' folder in the directory - but I have installed the fonts in the system.
I'm using apples 'font book' for management...
If there is a Document Fonts folder present with the .indd or .idml file ID will use the fonts in that folder for the document regardless of whether the same fonts are installed on your system. We had another user this week who encountered some problems with fonts in a document fonts folder, so try moving or renaming the fonts folder and see what happens.
Try moving half of the fonts out of the Document Fonts folder (put them in a new folder) and put the fonts folder back so ID sees it, then try opeing the file again. If it crashes, remove half of the remaining fonts and try again. If it doesn't crash, put half of the removed fonts back and try again. You should be able to isolate a bad font, if there is only one, in very short order.
Europe, Middle East and Africa