I'm trying to compile my project for the app store. It compiles without issue in about five minutes when compiled for ipa-test or ipa-debug. I'm compiling it for ipa-app-store right now but the process has been running for over two hours. I can see the java process running and the memory fluctuating, which tells me it's not frozen, but the temp files that are created aren't changing at all, which makes it seem like nothing is happening. Does anyone have any ideas what could be wrong? I'm using the latest version of the Flex framework with the latest AIR sdk on a machine running Windows 7.
An update. I let the compiler run all night and it never finished. I'm at a loss on how to proceed. I don't even know where to start looking to debug this problem. I need to complete this for a commercial project. Can someone please help?
This looks like a bug. Could you please open a new bug report on this over at bugbase.adobe.com? Please include the source project/app and the following details so that we can reproduce the issue internally?
- RAM size on the Windows 7 machine
- Version of Flex SDK and AIR SDK
- Version of Java.
I did eventually figure it out. At the time I didn't know how to embed an XML file, so I was taking the file and converting it to a reallly long string. It was in the format of:
xmlString += "<xmlTag>stuff</xmlTag>";
xmlString += "<otherTag>stuff</otherTag>";
There were three files, the shortest of which was over 1000 lines long. For some reason the compiler just choked on that. If I had even one of them in there it wouldn't compile for the app store. The moment I removed them, everything could compile just fine. That was when I figured out how to just embed the XML files and everything has worked since. Interestingly, my compile times for test and debug mode dropped by half once I did that; so it was clearly causing some issues for the compiler in general.
If you don't have a file like the one I just described, I would recommend commenting out almost everything in your main file and compiling it. If you have an empty project, everything should compile correctly. Start adding things back in one at a time until you get the problem. That was how I ended up nailing down what was happening for us.
Thank you very much for the elaborate answer. Amazing that after 2 months you still know the source of your problem,
In my case, the ADT doesn't seem ready for the new Alchemy release which we were experimenting with.