Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Adobe Content Viewer Crashing

Jan 31, 2012 7:09 AM

Is anyone else having a problem with the newest version of Adobe Content Viewer crashing constantly? It crashes all the time for me. Sometimes after I download a folio update and go to view the folio, sometimes when I tap to download the upadte for a folio. I try restarting the app, I try restarting my ipad, nothing seems to make it crash less often. I was just wondering if anyone else is experiencing this and if you've found a solution?

Thanks!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 31, 2012 7:25 AM   in reply to tara330

I’ve seen occasional crashes but nothing like that. Try removing it and then download it again.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 31, 2012 7:43 AM   in reply to tara330

We have experienced a similar problem (on two iPads)  but also with the previous Viewer. For us it is when swiping from article to article sometimes it crashes back to the Content Viewer Home screen. There are no videos on these pages. Are these issues likely to persist after the folio has gone through the Viewer Builder process as a multi issue app?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 1, 2012 1:11 AM   in reply to Graham Davis

Hi,

Crashing of the Adobe Content Viewer (or branded viewer) is caused most of the times by memory starvation.

General items to look at

* large files for covers (resolution > 1024x768)

* large images used in folios / MSO / Scroll Pan - especially in articles next to each other

With kind regards,

Klaasjan Tukker

Adobe Systems

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 1, 2012 2:00 AM   in reply to Klaasjan Tukker

Thanks Klaasjan, helpful advice!

We do have many 1024x768 images on a the first page of adjacent articles (its a photography magazine) and in one instance an MSO comprising 10 1024x768 images so I guess we should look again at this. In the previous issue we quite an number of articles starting with videos but this worked fine.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 1, 2012 7:51 AM   in reply to Klaasjan Tukker

Ive had a lot of crashing as well. Images are at the start of every chapter - size= 1232x242.

Is that big enough to crash the app?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 1, 2012 11:05 AM   in reply to tara330

I'm facing the same problem !

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 1, 2012 11:20 AM   in reply to tara330

My experience (and that of my colleagues) is repeated crashing at different times.

Download of an updated folio complete? Crash.

Open said folio after restarting app? Crash.

Flick too quickly between pages? Crash.

Im trying to eliminate some variables. I think I'll start with a completely vanilla folio and see what happens...

|
    Mark as:
  • Bob Bringhurst
    4,644 posts
    May 29, 2007
    Feb 1, 2012 11:22 AM   in reply to tara330

Try removing the viewer from both the iPad and iTunes. Then sync, and download the viewer again. You might also want to restart your iPad to clear the memory cache. Then try again. Let us know if you still experience crashing.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 1, 2012 11:28 AM   in reply to Bob Bringhurst

Thanks Bob, we'll give that a try.

Though I do have to ask - is this a common behavior of the Viewer? Are there any specific actions that I can take to avoid this?

|
    Mark as:
  • Bob Bringhurst
    4,644 posts
    May 29, 2007
    Feb 1, 2012 12:01 PM   in reply to D_Wilton

There are two possible issues here. The first issue is that an app's memory can get messed up on the device. That can happen with any app. My guess is that that's causing the crash when you flick too quickly between pages. That sounds like a memory glitch and a reinstall/restart would fix.

The second issue is something that I've run into and the team is looking at. Certain articles in a folio are causing the viewer app to crash when the folio is updated. When you agree to update the folio and tap the View button, the viewer crashes. The workaround is to archive the folio and download it from scratch. It happens only with some folios, and we haven't pinned down the cause of this.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 1, 2012 12:36 PM   in reply to Bob Bringhurst

HI Bob,

Glad to know this is on the radar. Thanks for the 'Archive first' workaround!

dw

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 6, 2012 11:49 AM   in reply to Klaasjan Tukker

Hi Klaasjan, this is really helpful information, since we have actually the problem that the reader is crashing a lot. Not really surprising since we use a MSO (57 states) in a scrollable area, exactly what you wrote to avoid.

But one question remains, which effects our testing. You said that the articles shouldn't be arranged next to each other, does that mean that the viewer is loading the previous and next article into the memory to speed up the loading time when the user jumps to the next article? Because that would effect our testing, since we have all different versions to test the crashing in one dedicated folio in a row, so we would need to insert a dummy page between all variations, or to you have more specific info on that?

Thanks, Norbert

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 30, 2012 2:42 AM   in reply to tara330

I've been experiencing a similar problem.  I have a layout with a bunch of 1024x768 images and movies that worked perfectly. All of a sudden the client reported the Viewer crashing on horizontal view. After a day of experimenting, I narrowed it down to a list of possible causes. As long as all MSO and movies are not connected to any buttons the folio loads alright (albeit, it's not functional). The moment I add the buttons to change the MSOs, the folio crashes. The movies and MSOs alone work all right.

Any clues? Thanks in advance!

|
    Mark as:
    May 1, 2012 5:33 PM   in reply to Bob Bringhurst

Hi Bob

I've done everything you mentioned... delete both apps and reinstalled, restarted iPad, and still crashing.

This time I only have 1 article published and it still crashes the app. It has only one slideshow in it and it's definitely not a big file.

The most I could get it to work is vertical, when turned horizontal, it still crashes the app.

Please help!

|
    Mark as:
  • Bob Bringhurst
    4,644 posts
    May 29, 2007
    May 1, 2012 6:28 PM   in reply to sharene80

Please share the folio with me so I can see if it blows up on my iPad: bbringhu@adobe.com

|
    Mark as:
  • Bob Bringhurst
    4,644 posts
    May 29, 2007
    May 2, 2012 6:37 AM   in reply to Bob Bringhurst

Yes, this folio blows up the viewer on my iPad. It's not the viewer. There is a problem with something in the folio.

|
    Mark as:
    May 2, 2012 4:47 PM   in reply to Bob Bringhurst

Yea... I suspect it's the slideshows with buttons. It also happens when I put a swipe slideshow in.

You can view the folio vertically, but not horizontally.

How do I find out what went wrong?

I've been doing the same thing the past 20 issues and it was fine, till now.

Can I send you the indesign files for you to help investigate?

|
    Mark as:
    May 2, 2012 11:37 PM   in reply to sharene80

make sure your MSOs and buttons dont have same name

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 8, 2012 2:35 PM   in reply to Bob Bringhurst

Is it logical to hope this is only a problem when using the Content Viewer, and that once the folio is published as an app the memory issues will no longer be a problem? Or is this instability going to carry through? (Any way to test that?)

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points