Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Topics Won't Open; New RH Upgrade to 9

Apr 19, 2012 Apr 19, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have upgraded and updated to RoboHelp 9.  Opened my project and it upgraded correctly.  Yesterday, the topics opened in the workspace, today they don't.

I have double-clicked the topic and nothing happens.  Right-clicked and selected Edit Topic and nothing happens.  The Starter is the only thing in the workspace.  Same problem whether on C: drive or server.  It generates fine and it previews fine, just won't open for editing.

As I said, I performed the updates, thinking that was the issue, but it wasn't (I did see a similar topic for RH 7 but figure 9 is different, yes?).

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 19, 2012 Apr 19, 2012

Ok, the fact that it's messing up on the samples means it something to do with the install, not the projects. Try re-installing?

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So what's changed in your machine's environment? Did IT install some new virus scanner or change your permissions? I assume you have a back up of your original project - does a copy of that upgrade fine? Where's your project located? Can you open up the demo projects & play around with them fine?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd like to say nothing's changed in the environment, but it's a corporate laptop, so virtually anything could have changed.  No virus scanner or change in my permissions and nothing said there was an update.

Yes, I have several backups and the one's I've opened have the same problem (I, of course, won't open all of them).  Located on the C drive.

I have opened demos and have the same problem.  So does a new project.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, the fact that it's messing up on the samples means it something to do with the install, not the projects. Try re-installing?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

*Sigh*  I was afraid you'd say that.  Corporate IT, which means it will be several days before anything happens.

Thanks,

Rob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Before doing the reinstall hokey pokey, see if the following steps help it.

Click Tools > Options > File Association.

Ensure Design View <Internal> is default.

Ensure "Use Default Editor" is configured.

tmp1.PNG

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7, 8 or 9 within the day!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 20, 2012 Apr 20, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oooo, that might be it.  There is nothing in the HTML Editors box and Auto-select Editor was selected.  I've switched to Use Default Editor, now how do I get the Design View <Internal>?

Other notes:

* When I go into Options I get a RoboHelp HTML Internal Error: Can't get right editor's information (which I assume is because there isn't one in there),  

* The HTML Editors Add, Remove, Edit and Set As Default buttons are greyed out.

Thoughts?

THANK YOU!

Rob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 20, 2012 Apr 20, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ended up doing a reinstall and it now works, so Jeff had the answer.  Rick, thank you for your time as well.  That was extremely helpful.

Rob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 02, 2012 May 02, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

And some follow up because many bullets corrected but after further review, many didn't.  The fault was that all files were mapped to a master page BUT styles were used in the original that didn't exist in the new master page, so those styles converted to "none" and did funky things.  To make matters further involved, when generating, a different style was told to Apply to All (or somesuch verbage).  So I had to go through and fix everything and in the process discovered whoever wrote the training material was less-than-skilled and the whole thing needed a rewrite.  So all in all, a strong, if frustrating, learning experience.  Again, thank you to all who pitched in.  I am amazed at the support and skill of professionals who freely give their time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp