Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Subtitles, still not possible? Workflow suggestions please.

May 2, 2012 1:39 AM

Hi all,

I have a client who wants to have (burned in) subtitles under an excisting piece of video.

I was thinking "He... No problem in PPro", but to my surprise this isn't really possible. I've been searching the web, and besides the same question going back to !!2006!! there's no real solution.

The only suggestions I found are about doing this in Encore. But the problem there is that Encore cannot export to .mp4 or Flash video. Or export the video and have the subs burned in for convenience sake.

I could treat all subs as titles in PPro, but this would take a lot longer. I cannot understand this basic functionality isn't available for PPro.

We don't all have Encore installed just for the sake of adding subtitles to a video.

If anyone has a good workflow for stuff like this, I really like to hear it. Preferably without resorting to installing all kinds of exotic apps and weird file shuffles.

Thanks!!

Rob

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 2, 2012 2:24 AM   in reply to robwuijster

I have a client who wants to have (burned in) subtitles under an excisting piece of video.

I was thinking "He... No problem in PPro", but to my surprise this isn't really possible.

Why not? What is your problem? Just create your subtitles and put them where you want them. I don't see any problem, unless it is OE.

I could treat all subs as titles in PPro, but this would take a lot longer.

That makes no sense at all. You still have to type the text and position them at the right location.

|
    Mark as:
    May 2, 2012 2:41 AM   in reply to robwuijster

OE is Operator Error.

What I was looking for in PPro, is the option to import a sub textfile with timecode.

This is not possible in PPro, unless I'm not looking into the right place in the app and manual.

That is not possible.

Like I said, I found references to Encore for subs, but I don't own Encore, and find it a bit overkill for something basic as adding some subs in a video track.

Encore comes with PR.

So the only thing left is to create a title for every single line of sub.

Correct.

|
    Mark as:
    May 2, 2012 8:03 AM   in reply to robwuijster

I have been using Belle Nuit Subtitler (http://www.belle-nuit.com/subtitler/). It can render out all subtitles as stills (with alpha) and also provides an EDL for premiere so it works pretty well.

It works if you already have a script with timecode, as doing them without it is still pretty cumbersome in belle nuit, at least in pc version. I also dont like doing subtitles with encore, as there is a bit of a delay when displaying them, so a solution to import-export scripted subtitles from/to premiere would be really great.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points