Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Lost connections after Time Machine transfer

Apr 29, 2012 8:05 PM

Tags: #reconnection #time #machine

I recently bought a new 27” Quad Core mac and transferred my data from my old 24” mac using Time Machine right after I upgraded it to Lion. A bad move I later found out. Now I’ve both lost all my LR4 connections and have discovered about 400 Gigabytes of duplicate images split somewhere between my internal and external drives. The ubiquitous “?” has shown up on all of my 15,000 images as one would expect under these circumstances. Over the many years I subscribed to the explanation of frequent forum advisor, DJ Paige, about the lack of need to worry about being fastidious with your storage folders because, as he advised, and I agreed, there are better ways to keep track of images in LR than that out-of-date method when Keywording, collections, filters, etc., were available. I now will have to pay the piper. With an average of 150 plus shoots a year over 6 years, I have around 1000+ separate folders in various locations that will need reconnection. I’ve done about 200 of the most recent of these over the last day or so and could continue for the next week if I wished, but thought I might come to this forum and ask if anyone has any better thoughts. Here are a few that I might try: go through all my old folders in their storage locations and combine the images into one folder. That will allow a connection of all with one effort. Unfortunately, the way the files are scattered and the Mac moves them around when the files are removed, takes longer than just reconnecting would. Another option is to start moving them around in the LR folders and then reconnect them. This will make them look neater but won’t make them much easier to connect. With all the other problems with this move like trying to learn a new operating system, reparking my web site since mobile.me is shutting down, finding a new video connector, and trying to locate all the duplicates to remove them, I am more than open to suggestions. I am hoping one of you will tell me that I’ve missed a really easy way to do this and here’s how, or maybe just some suggestions to make things move a little faster. Thanks in advance.  

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 30, 2012 1:09 AM   in reply to dgluck1

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/04/28/andrew-basiago-seattle-attorn ey-time-travels_n_1438216.html?ref=mostpopular

sorry.. but i could not resist...

sorry im no help i don´t use a mac

but als least i gave your thread a bump.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 30, 2012 8:36 AM   in reply to dgluck1

We might be able to help more if we could see a screenshot of the Folders panel in the Lightroom Library Module.

Also need confirmation that the folder structure on the new system is the samne as it was on the old.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points