Skip navigation
This discussion is archived
FrankR678
Currently Being Moderated

Canon 5D MKIII - Camera Raw for Elements ?

Apr 19, 2012 12:06 PM

Does anyone know when the Camera Raw plug in that supports the Canon 5D Mark III in Photoshop Elements 10 will be available ? I know release candidate 6.7 is available but only works with Photoshop CS5 - not sure why Adobe chooses to not make it available for Elements ? I also know that I can use the DNG converter to convert my 5D MKIII images to DNG format and then work in Camera Raw. However, this is a beta DNG converter and I have found that my converted images are slightly overexposed (about half a stop) and have more noise. Does anyone else have this problem ?

The real question is - when will the Camera Raw plug that supports the Canon 5D Mark III in for Photoshop Elements 10 will be available ? You pay a price for being an early adopter and this has seriously disrupted my workflow. I have a hard disk full of RAW images to work on - please help !!!!

Replies 1 2 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 19, 2012 12:20 PM   in reply to FrankR678

Of course, you realize that this is a user forum.  None of us know any more about release dates than you do.  Since the camera is supported in the 6.7 RC, I suspect it will be available in the 6.7 final release.  Quite often release candidates are only available for Photoshop, but the final release is normally available for Photoshop Elements as well.

The final release may not solve your exposure problem.  You might have to use a different metering mode or use exposure compensation or change your camera defaults to compensate for your shooting style.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 19, 2012 12:27 PM   in reply to FrankR678

FrankR678 wrote:

You pay a price for being an early adopter and this has seriously disrupted my workflow.

Yes, you do. And, you know who's to blame? The camera makers who refuse to adopt any raw standards. If Canon or Nikon adopted a standard raw file format (like DNG) then users wouldn't have this difficulty.

Any time a new camera comes out the 3rd party applications have to start at ground zero to decode the new file format. That takes time. If a new camera comes out at the period of time new 3rd party software is being released, the time shift can be even worse.

In the meantime, you are free to use the Canon software that came with your camera while you wait for compatibility updates.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 19, 2012 11:47 PM   in reply to FrankR678

Adobe does not pre-announce software releases, mostly so they can change their mind up until the last minute, I think.

It’s also not the situation where Adobe needs to talk to Canon to decide when to release the next version of ACR.  Adobe releases ACR on a relatively fixed schedule, so whatever new cameras have come out that Adobe has had the resources to profile with enough lead time to work out any bugs, will be in the next version of ACR when it is released on the internally-predetermined schedule.

Adobe reverse-engineers their needed information after having a camera in hand, not from discussions with the manufacturer, necessarily.  Sometimes Adobe gets a camera from the manufacturer long before it is available to the public, and I would expect an important camera like the 5D.3 might have been one of those, but that just makes it easier to get the camera into the next scheduled ACR, it does not make the ACR update come out any faster.

Adobe also has a CS6 suite to work on and test so they’re not merely working on putting cameras into ACR 6.7 or ACR 7 for use with PSE10.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 25, 2012 2:44 AM   in reply to ssprengel

Adobe also has a CS6 suite to work on and test so they’re not merely working on putting cameras into ACR 6.7 or ACR 7 for use with PSE10.

ARC 7 will not open Canon 5DMkIII CR2/RAW files, but ARC 6.7 will, so I even though I have pre-ordered CS6E, I will have to keep CS5E on my computer to process 5DIII raw files, and to user certain 3rd party photo editing programs. Annoying, but not the end of the world.

I will say this, though: Although they are under no obligation to us consumers (we only buy their products, right? So no obligation there) IMO, since Adobe put out ACR 6.7 that will open 5DIII and G1X files so quickly, it does appear they are dragging their heels about ACR 7. If a beta has camera support for the 5DmkIII, and G1X, 7 should have been released with the same capabilities.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 25, 2012 4:18 AM   in reply to SandraChung

The current ACR 7 included in the CS6 Beta was finalized before ACR 6.7 was released.  The final version of ACR 7 that will ship with the final version of Photoshop CS6 has that support.  No need for CS5.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 30, 2012 12:38 PM   in reply to FrankR678

Has anyone had any issues with the quality of the Canon 5d Mk III cr2 image opened in CS5 with ACR 6.7 or CS6 with ACR 7.1. My images are coming in desaturated (shows -55) on scale, is dark and has vignetting. The jpegs look great. Any thoughts?*

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 30, 2012 1:04 PM   in reply to RKO Photography

ACR 7.1 is not publicly available as a beta, although ACR 7.0 is, if that’s what you meant. 

Sounds like you have a non-factory default set in ACR, or perhaps have a DNG with non-default metadata embedded by some other program.

You can reset your camera raw defaults to either the factory defaults or to the current image’s settings using the menu that is displayed by clicking the three-bullet-points-with-arrow icon at the right of the section title bar, just below the section icons.  For example to the right of the word Basic when you are on the Toning panel.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 30, 2012 1:22 PM   in reply to ssprengel

I have tried 7 and we are beta testers for cs6 and got the acr upgrade. 6.7 does the same in cs5.

Sent from my iPhone

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 30, 2012 1:42 PM   in reply to RKO Photography

This forum is not the place to discuss private-beta matters so let’s keep this to ACR 6.7 RC.

Are you saying that ACR reset to factory defaults and a newly imported 5D.3 CR2 file starts with Sat = -55?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 30, 2012 4:34 PM   in reply to ssprengel

Yes.

Sent from my iPhone

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,456 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    May 1, 2012 1:19 PM   in reply to RKO Photography

Can you not set the sliders the way you like to see your images initially open and choose Save New Camera Raw Defaults?

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    May 1, 2012 1:43 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Appreciate your insight. The question then becomes, would it only change

the preferences for the Mark IIIs. The software works fine for our Mark

IIs. If changing the preferences / profiles in Camera Raw is a global

change, then it would cause problems for the IIs. The thing that we can get

past is the jpegs all look great. We can bring the CR2 files into Canons

Digital Photo Professional (included with the IIIs) and it looks great

also. That is why we think the problem is actually in the profile for the

IIIs that Adobe is using...Appreciate any insight and/or information...Have

a GREAT day...

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,456 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    May 1, 2012 1:53 PM   in reply to RKO Photography

I'm not sure what has "changed" for you, but when I open a Canon 5D Mark III file with Photoshop CS5's Camera Raw 6.7 RC it looks like this:

Canon5DMarkIIIDefaults.jpg

Is it possible that in testing you saved a set of defaults?

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,456 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    May 1, 2012 2:01 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

This is what the embedded JPEG looks like for me next to the Camera Raw defaults.

5DMarkIIIJPEGvsDefaults.jpg

I take it you're seeing much more difference than this.

The images get even more similar if I switch Camera Raw to use the "Camera Standard" profile.

The question then becomes, would it only change the preferences for the Mark IIIs.

That's almost certain, yes.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    May 1, 2012 2:20 PM   in reply to RKO Photography

RKO Photography wrote:

The question then becomes, would it only change the preferences for the Mark IIIs.

No...the ACR "Defaults" are camera specific...one other thought, have you used LR4? LR and ACR share the same defaults which means if you change the defaults in LR, the defaults in ACR are also changed.

The only way your raws could be coming into ACR with a -55 Saturation adjustment was if you had donesomething to change the defaults (or applied a preset in either LR or in Bridge).

|
    Mark as:
    May 2, 2012 6:04 AM   in reply to Jeff Schewe

I have read through the Mark III manual, and have not found anything. I

come back to 2 things, first, this happens on 3 different PCs and second

the Canon software Digital Photo Professional brings the CR2s in just fine,

then they can be exported directly to Photoshop from the Canon software,

and they look great...

I don't want to make changes just to make changes...I do appreciate all of

the insight and information...

|
    Mark as:
    May 2, 2012 6:26 AM   in reply to RKO Photography

To be as direct as possible, you accidentally changed the defaults for your camera, and attributed the change to Adobe, and asked about it here.  The fix is to change the defaults back.  Do you need help with this?

|
    Mark as:
    May 2, 2012 6:31 AM   in reply to ssprengel

Yes. I have tried to contact canon to no avail. Any help would be great. Thank you

Sent from my iPhone

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,456 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    May 2, 2012 9:35 AM   in reply to RKO Photography

Two very specific questions:

• When you open the file from these "3 different PCs" and see the issue, are you opening it from the same location on a network?

• Is there an .xmp with the same name prefix file right next to the raw file in the folder?

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    May 2, 2012 9:49 AM   in reply to Noel Carboni

No xmp file. These files have never been edited and they are copied from the ad or cf card. No network. I went thru settings on my camera, there was nothing unique or different from my mark ii. Also looked at settings in acr and nothing stood out. I really appreciate all your efforts.

Sent from my iPhone

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,456 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    May 2, 2012 10:35 AM   in reply to RKO Photography

Since you call them PCs, I assume they're Windows systems.  Notably my screenshot above is from my Windows 7 x64 system.

I'm at a loss to explain why your Camera Raw defaults for that particular camera should be messed up.  Perhaps the Adobe folks will ask you for more information.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,456 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    May 2, 2012 10:37 AM   in reply to RKO Photography

RKO Photography wrote:

there was nothing unique or different from my mark ii.

Your camera settings won't affect how Camera Raw opens the file, save for perhaps the white balance.

If you want to put a copy of one of your raw files online somewhere, I'll be happy to download it and see if I can reproduce the problem you're seeing.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    May 2, 2012 11:53 AM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Thank you for your time and effort. I will continue to research this. If I can ever be of service let me know.

God bless

Roger

Sent from my iPhone

|
    Mark as:
    May 2, 2012 6:49 PM   in reply to RKO Photography

Please upload one of the suspect files to a www.dropbox.com or www.yousendit.com account, send the download link to your own e-mail, and then post the download link, here.

|
    Mark as:
    May 2, 2012 7:06 PM   in reply to ssprengel

Got the problem fixed. It was one setting in acr. Works great now. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone

|
    Mark as:
    May 2, 2012 7:13 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

I've tried opening a Canon 5D MkIII raw in Adobe Elements 10. I just get the error message that it's an unknown format.  And yes, I have the latest version of ACR fo PSE10, v 6.6

|
    Mark as:
    May 2, 2012 7:15 PM   in reply to RKO Photography

If you don't mind me asking, what was the setting? 

|
    Mark as:
    May 2, 2012 7:36 PM   in reply to SandraChung

It was the reset. I reset the settings in acr and both 6.7 and the 7 began working

Sent from my iPhone

|
    Mark as:
    May 2, 2012 8:29 PM   in reply to RKO Photography

I tried, no joy. Still not opening 5DMkIII in PSE10.

|
    Mark as:
    May 3, 2012 3:45 AM   in reply to SandraChung

Did you upgrade to ACR 6.7. That is yhe version that recognizes the

MKIII...Also Canon has Digital Photo Professional that comes on a disc with

your camera that will let you open the CR2 and edit files much like ACR.

|
    Mark as:
    May 3, 2012 4:29 AM   in reply to RKO Photography

I have no problem with CS5 with ACR 6.7.  This is about Photoshop elements, and ARC 6.6 not reading 5DMkIII files. (I looked, there is no ACR update other than 6.6 for PSE10)

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,456 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    May 3, 2012 5:08 AM   in reply to SandraChung

AnysiaC wrote:

I looked, there is no ACR update other than 6.6 for PSE10

Perhaps you looked in the wrong place, AnysiaC.  The Adobe updater doesn't always catch every available update right away...

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=5383

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=5382

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    May 3, 2012 5:51 AM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Sorry I do not use Elements, but it seems that I read that the ACR upgrade

for Elements is not yet available.....

|
    Mark as:
    May 3, 2012 5:57 AM   in reply to RKO Photography

My Elements 10 and CS5 updated to ACR 6.7 automatically, Wednesday morning; however, ACR 6.7 is not a distinct link on www.adobe.com/downloads/updates yet.  You have to use the dropdown list at the top and select Camera RAW for your platform, then look for the PSE-specific link on that page.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,456 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    May 3, 2012 6:46 AM   in reply to ssprengel

Um, did anyone notice I actually provided the links in post 33? 

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    May 3, 2012 7:12 AM   in reply to Noel Carboni

I did, so I didn’t do it, again.   Since Anysia hadn’t figured out where to look for the links, that Adobe usually provides on the main Updates page, I gave instructions how to do that.  Teaching someone to fish, rather than giving someone a fish.

|
    Mark as:
    May 3, 2012 7:29 AM   in reply to ssprengel

I did, so I didn’t do it, again.   Since Anysia hadn’t figured out where to look for the links, that Adobe usually provides on the main Updates page, I gave instructions how to do that.  Teaching someone to fish, rather than giving someone a fish.

I did look for and at the links, as well as my infected eyes would allow. If you can't actually assist without providing snark and trying to score points, , go pound sand.

|
    Mark as:
    May 3, 2012 7:32 AM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Seeing as my reply was prior to #33, no.   And Mr. Wisenheimer just wants to feel superiour (I scrolled all the way through the thread, and the only links provided were the ones your provided in #33, so I don't know where he gets off with being snide) , whereas you actually assist. Thank you.

|
    Mark as:
1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points