Skip navigation
Tridien
Currently Being Moderated

How to ouput a fine WITHOUT the spot color in it.

May 2, 2012 9:54 AM

I made a file with a spot uv.  My graphics came from photoshop and i made my spot uv as a channel.  Now I am in In design I have my layout and my finished brochure.  I have the copy to send to the printer.  Now i need a copy to send online to the web.  I can not find a way to output it only showing cmyk.  No matter what I try the spout uv shade stays with my pdf i output.  I can see it by clciking off the eyeball wit the spot uv color but there is no way that I can find to output it without that color in it.  I need help I am stuck.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 2, 2012 10:06 AM   in reply to Tridien

From the Swatches panel menu, choose Ink Manager. Select your spot color and click the 4-color process color icon on the left to convert it to process.

Use Windows > Output > Separation Preview to preview the output. (You can also reach Ink Manager from its menu as well.)

|
    Mark as:
    May 2, 2012 10:09 AM   in reply to Steve Werner

I don't think that's a good idea. If the spot color was given a CMYK definition so it would be visible while you work, that's what it will get converted to.

I'd try putting the spot objects in the .psd on a separatre layer, then you can use object layer visibilty to hide the layer before making the PDF.

|
    Mark as:
    May 2, 2012 10:21 AM   in reply to Tridien

Here are some workarounds:

1. Duplicate graphic, remove spot channel, relink to new graphic

2. Keep same graphic and spot channel intact, but in photoshop move spot channel to alpha channel, and use accordingly

3. In Indesign, create a new spot ink of 0C 0M 0Y 0K and remap spot uv ink to this new color. Note, the spot color will not appear, but there will be the presence of a spot ink in the PDF

|
    Mark as:
    May 2, 2012 10:30 AM   in reply to Jeffrey_Smith

Have you tried #3? I'm not sure that won't knock out the color. It will work with a native ID object set to overprint, but I don't really know how a spot channel is handled in that situation.

|
    Mark as:
    May 2, 2012 10:48 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

Yes, you will need to turn on overprint preview for proper display in Indesign.

|
    Mark as:
    May 2, 2012 12:33 PM   in reply to Tridien

hmm thats interesting, prints fine for me. Even if this method worked for you, the fact that an extraneous spot ink remains could potentially cause problems. But you could go in Acrobat and convert to process colors and eliminate unwanted spot.

|
    Mark as:
    May 2, 2012 12:55 PM   in reply to Tridien

I posted this reply to your question in the Acrobat forum; Create a seperate layer for the Spot. Export a layered pdf and set the visibility to off.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points