Skip navigation
Alex DeJesus 496 posts
Jul 25, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

Can I apply animation to multiple layers at once?

May 2, 2012 8:40 AM

I have 20 or so text layers in a comp. Looking for how to select them all and apply effects/animations quickly. For example, I want to apply a type on preset. I tried copy and pasting, but I could only do one at a time and it put the keyframes in the wrong place on the timeline. If it's a preset, it should know to start at the beginning of the layer

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 2, 2012 9:07 AM   in reply to Alex DeJesus

If it's a preset, it should know to start at the beginning of the layer

Nope. Animation presets are always inserted at the current time - that is if they are not based on some fancy expressions that compensate. Same for copy&paste. Still, animation presets should apply to al lcurrently selected layers, so I'm not sure what you are doing or not doing to prevent it from working....

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
    May 2, 2012 10:13 AM   in reply to Alex DeJesus

I think you're going about this all wrong.  This is a pretty easy process:

Create just ONE text layer, and animate it to taste.

Duplicate this layer, and change the text on the duplicated layer.

Move the duplicated layer on the timeline until its in point is at the desired point in time.

Repeat the steps above as necessary.

|
    Mark as:
    May 2, 2012 10:43 AM   in reply to Alex DeJesus

Not knowing what the term "change after the fact" entails, there could be two responses:

"So suck it up and get busy!"

"We'll need to know  precisely what's wrong in the duplicated layers.  There may be an alternate solution."

Since there are only 20 text layers -- a very small amount in a comp of even moderate complexity -- I favor the first response.

|
    Mark as:
    May 2, 2012 1:10 PM   in reply to Alex DeJesus

How tough can it be to lasso the keyframes on each layer and move them to the times desired?  That's all it takes!

So suck it up and get busy! 

So what if you made a mistake?  I bet you don't make it again.

|
    Mark as:
    May 2, 2012 3:34 PM   in reply to Alex DeJesus

You are overthinking this and trying to be overly efficient/ smart about the matter. 20 layers? That's kindergarten stuff that takes 5 minutes even if you need to re-create everything from scratch. I'd only be worried if I had to do this for hundreds of layers. Sure, everything can be automated using expressions just as well, but you need to provide much more info how you want it to work then. This could be as simple as something with thisComp.layer("XYZ").position.valueAtTime(time-inPoint), if all the layers have the same duration and keyframes and need to have the same motion just offset in time, on the otehr hand it could be infinitely more complex.

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points