Skip navigation
zer0hvk
Currently Being Moderated

Output format problem.

May 1, 2012 5:23 PM

Hey guys! You've always helped me out and I hope you can help me out with this problem I have.

I was asked to give two videos a specific output, one of them I developed in After Effects, the other is a Quicktime (.MOV) video.

I'm actively trying but I can't seem to figure out how to deliver the exact requirements they're asking of me. Here goes.

My animation on AE was made at 720x480, Square pixels.

The .MOV is at (according to QuickTime Inspector) 720x486 (640x480) Linear PCM. At 29.97 FPS, 53.62 Mbit/s Current Size 648x480.

Their requirements are:

Wrapper: Quicktime Selfcontained

Header: ALIS

Scan: Interlaced

Field Dominance: Lower field

Compressor: DVCPRO 50

Bit Rate: 50 Mnps

FPS: 29.97

Codec Audio: PCM

Aspect Ratio: 4:03

They're asking for Betacam format.

I have, honestly no idea how to get all those requirements in the file.

I can output it compressed by DVCPRO50 from AE, but I can't alter the Bitrate and the aspect is changed to 0.91, I have no idea how to get the PCM audio codec, or how to change the field dominance.

I've been using AE for a while now, but I've never been asked to get a different format other than Quicktime with H264 compression.

I'm sorry this is so long, but, I hope you guys can help me out on how to get these specifications on these files. Wether it can be done directly from AE, or if I have to use Adobe Media Encoder, or something of the sort.

If you need ANY information I haven't given you, please let me know.

Thanks for your attention!!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 1, 2012 10:56 PM   in reply to zer0hvk

Betacam is a tape type, not an output spec and you cannot export it from AE. You simply use any file that matches the spec, they import it into their edit suite and lay it off to tape. PCM is plain unvcoimpressed audio (WAV/ AIFF) and for DigitalBetacam it needs to be 48kHz. For Everything else simply use any Quicktime CoDec that their edit suite supports/ is able to import using a standard NTSC output. That requirement for DVCPro is just plain nonsense, so I can only assume they have no clue.

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
    May 2, 2012 9:10 AM   in reply to zer0hvk

There's nothing wrong. Computers work with square pixels and Quicktime doesn't compensate for anamorphic pixel aspect ratios. It merely telsl you the effective size of its display window. If imported correctly in whatever program, this is not an issue.

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
    May 2, 2012 10:07 AM   in reply to zer0hvk

The DVCPro 50 codec specifications mandate 720x480.  It's a 4x3 screen aspect ratio, the PIXEL aspect ratio is slightly less than 1.0, and you can use the NTSC DV comp preset to get the proper AE comp settings.  Then you choose the DVCPro 50 codec for rendering.

I recommend a copying all the layers of your incorrect comp into the new comp with the proper settings.  You can then play around with scale if necessary.

|
    Mark as:
    May 2, 2012 10:49 AM   in reply to zer0hvk

Your answers, in the order they were asked:

Yes.

It's the proper kind.

No.

Yes.

It's a quirk of quicktime nomenclature.

Don't worry, it's okay.

|