Skip navigation

Sandy bridge is ok now I hope? New build help.

Apr 29, 2012 8:46 AM

Latest reply: Bill Gehrke, May 7, 2012 7:20 AM
Replies 1 2 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 2, 2012 9:38 AM   in reply to grandpooba2

Not really: The Silicon Image RAID controller is nothing more than a typical firmware-assisted software RAID to begin with.

And a 3Ware card with 256MB of cache would still be a waste of $250 or thereabouts, IMHO: Those controllers are of old, outdated designs that can't take full advantage of the newest mechanical HDDs, especially those with 1TB platters (not disks). Good hardware RAID controllers do not cost $250 or even $300 - but cost at least $500 to $600.

|
    Mark as:
    May 2, 2012 10:28 AM   in reply to grandpooba2

The one in the third link (the one with 512MB cache) is the one that you want if you cannot afford a better card (however, it is still limiting due to it having only four ports). The other two both have drawbacks: The first one has only a SATA II (3.0 Gbps) card-to-disk interface while the one in the second link has no hardware memory cache.

|
    Mark as:
    May 2, 2012 10:45 AM   in reply to grandpooba2

The 9260 is a good value (in some cases better at random writes than the 3Ware 9750). However, the version that you picked out is still limited by its four ports. I'd recommend trying to find an eight-port version of the LSI 9260 if you really can't shell out $600 (roughly £410) and up for an Areca card.

|
    Mark as:
    May 2, 2012 11:07 AM   in reply to RjL190365

still limited by its four ports

Given the total of four non-System drives, I'm not sure that's really a limitation.  I mean, you probably want to leave at least one drive off the RAID to use as a separate Export drive.

(Personally, I'd leave off another as a separate Project drive, which means adding that fifth so there are three on the RAID might be a good idea.)

|
    Mark as:
    May 2, 2012 11:13 AM   in reply to grandpooba2

I personally would never recommend a RAID 0.  I'd do what I had to do in order to get RAID 3, or at the very least, RAID 5 (though that is not my preference either).  Either 3 or 5 will require at least three drives.

But yes, a separate Project and Export drive.

|
    Mark as:
    May 2, 2012 2:28 PM   in reply to grandpooba2

I'd put the cache on the Projects drive myself.  Any export is likely to be using that, so you want it on a separate drive.

I also tend to let Windows manage the swap, as I see very little benefit in tweaking it, but potential disaster if you don't tweak it correctly.

|
    Mark as:
    May 3, 2012 12:26 PM   in reply to grandpooba2

DSLR footage will run fine from a single drive.  You won't need a RAID for speed with that footage.  (Though speed never hurts, it isn't really necessary here.)

The caution here is that there is no tape backup, so I personally feel it prudent to go with a RAID level that offers data security.  RAID 3 and 5 offer both security and speed, so you get the best of both.

Having said that, I'd probably go with this card myself, as it does offer the preferred RAID 3. (And it's about the same price once you include the SAS to SATA adaper cable.)

HighPoint RocketRAID 4310

|
    Mark as:
    May 3, 2012 4:41 PM   in reply to grandpooba2

|
    Mark as:
    May 3, 2012 7:15 PM   in reply to grandpooba2

Not a bad way to spend an evening.

|
    Mark as:
    May 6, 2012 1:19 AM   in reply to grandpooba2

Have you initialised the array in Disk Management? 

Access this via Control Panel > Computer Management > Disk Management, and follow the wizard instructions.

|
    Mark as:
    May 6, 2012 1:28 AM   in reply to grandpooba2

|
    Mark as:
    May 6, 2012 1:54 PM   in reply to grandpooba2

Never heard of Parkdale.  You are wasting drive space using two different sizes

of disk drives. 

Bill Gehrke

|
    Mark as:
    May 6, 2012 2:53 PM   in reply to grandpooba2

All disk benchmarks have different pro's and con's The most used (but not free) is HD Tune Pro and the disk or array has to unformatted to do the write test.  Atto can do a read and write in use, but does not check the whole disk but just does a spot test.

Did you reload Premiere, you have to redo the mod to the cuda_supported_cards.txt file.

|
    Mark as:
    May 6, 2012 3:24 PM   in reply to grandpooba2

Do you have the exact correct format "GeForce GTX 560 Ti" in your file?

|
    Mark as:
    May 7, 2012 7:20 AM   in reply to grandpooba2

This disussion is so long and so many subtopics that I do not have the time to find all your conditions so I chose not to enter that discussion.  You would be better off starting a new discussion with a full current description.of the variables you have.  Many RAID opinions are available.

|
    Mark as:
1 2 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points