Skip navigation
jalucas98
Currently Being Moderated

Cannot Ugrade My LR3 Catalog for LR4.

Mar 20, 2012 6:36 PM

Tags: #lightroom #catalog #convert #lr4 #ugrade

Can someone please help with my problem?

I have been trying to upgrade my LR3 catalog to LR4 for over a week now.  I've tried everything I can imagine to get this to happen.  I've tried importing my LR3 catalog from inside LR4, which asks me if I want to relaunch LR4 with this catalog.  Then, it brings me to the "catalog upgrade" window, where I can either keep the name as it is or give it a new name and location.  But, after it works for a several minutes at converting everything over to LR4 it craps out and says "this catalog cannot be ugraded to LR4 because of a problem" or something similar to this.  I've tried at least 15 backed-up catalogs starting inside LR4 as well as from outside LR4 before going in with an empty LR4 catalog.  I've tried every combination of steps I could think of, with no success.

I'm a computer expert as well as a Lightroom expert, so It's not that I don't know what I'm doing.  There seems to be something realy wrong here, but I don't see anyone else posting about this problem.

Please help!

Thanks.

Jack

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 21, 2012 2:45 AM   in reply to jalucas98

Sounds like you have an unusual problem in your Lr3 catalog - it happens occasionally.

Dan Tull (of Adobe) may be able to repair your catalog.

Another thing if you haven't tried it is to select all your photos and export as catalog.

If you can open/convert that in Lr4, the only thing you lose is your publish services setup, I *think*. - I can help you get publish collections back if manual recreation would be too painful.

Rob

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 21, 2012 8:16 PM   in reply to jalucas98

I have a plugin called LrFourB that was designed to import as much as possible from a Lr3 catalog into Lr4(b) without doing an actual catalog conversion, and without resorting to any unsavory tricks, like SQL, i.e. uses standard supported plugin methodologies only. It would work for Lr4.0 too. But, it's not for the squeamish, and you'll lose edit history, but not stacking order, virtual copies, custom metadata, nor collections...

It allows you to start with a new fresh, presumably good catalog, and rebuild it from the ground up - re-importing everything, but without the losses inherent if you only do the real photos without it.

Do you have the same problem if you only export one photo as catalog? i.e. you may be able to isolate it to specific photos or collections that way, if the problem really is so limited in scope.

If you are a techno-wiz, you can also dig around with an SQL client and see if anything seems wacky - some techno-savvy users have repaired wonky catalogs that way, including me. It can be easier than you might think, since sometimes the problem is isolated to a single table...

Also, don't forget that Dan Tull of Adobe may be amenable to helping you.

Rob

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 22, 2012 6:05 AM   in reply to jalucas98

Hi Jack,

Dan has given his email address on these forums before, but I don't recall it now. But, you could file an official bug report / request at the feedback site and somebody may answer there:

http://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/new

Who knows, he (or somebody else) may even see your cry for help right here after a bit...

* lrcat is an sqlite3 file - I use SQLite Spy to interrogate and update when need be. You could start by just seeing if all tables are readable - quit Lightroom first.

LrFourB is here:

http://www.robcole.com/Rob/ProductsAndServices/MiscLrPlugins/#Lr4B

PS - no way to do edit history without SQL, that I know of (it's not saved in xmp, nor supported for plugins).

Of course back up your catalogs before mucking with them...

Rob

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 22, 2012 6:46 AM   in reply to jalucas98

You bet. - let me(us) know how you fare, OK?

|
    Mark as:
  • Benjamin Warde
    64 posts
    Sep 8, 2010
    May 1, 2012 2:54 PM   in reply to jalucas98

Hi Jack,

If you are still unable to upgrade your Lightroom 3 catalog, please send me the catalog so that I can investigate the problem.  I only need the catalog file itself, not the photos.  You can use dropbox.com or yousendit.com, and post the link here.  Or, if you prefer, I can message you privately with instructions on how to FTP the catalog to me directly at Adobe.

Thanks,

Ben

|
    Mark as:
  • Benjamin Warde
    64 posts
    Sep 8, 2010
    May 1, 2012 2:56 PM   in reply to Benjamin Warde

By the way, I know I'm pretty late replying to this issue.  Someone else with a similar problem just Tweeted a link to this thread, which is how I happened to find myself here.  :-)

-Ben

|
    Mark as:
    May 1, 2012 8:36 PM   in reply to Benjamin Warde

Hi Ben,

I am the one who tweeted this forum. I now have a combination of issues-which of course happened after I Tweeted this link 1) I have 24K photos in my catalog, and when I upgraded the catalog from LR3 to LR4, it only showed 13k of my photos when LR 4 launched. 2) I then got an error message, that there was an error with my catalog.

I have since copied the original catalog (which still shows all of my 24k photos in LR3) to my hard drive, and tried upgrading based on that. Still get an error. I also re-installed LR4, same thing.

Any ideas/help would be wonderful. If you need further information, you can contact me at kej328@yahoo.com

Thanks,

Kristina

|
    Mark as:
  • Benjamin Warde
    64 posts
    Sep 8, 2010
    May 2, 2012 1:43 PM   in reply to Kristina328

Kristina: I have emailed you privately, thanks.

Jack: Any collections that existed in the backup catalog should still be present in Lightroom 4 after upgrading the catalog, and if they're not, I'm not sure why that would be.  If you still have the backup Lightroom 3 catalog, I'd be happy to take a look at it.  Presets are not even stored in the catalog (unless you've specifically enabled that in preferences), they are stored separately.  Information about the location of presets can be found here: http://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/kb/preference-file-locations-lightroo m-4.html

Thanks,

Ben

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points