Skip navigation
peter_wunder
Currently Being Moderated

Layers not in order when distributing horizontal centers

Apr 30, 2012 7:12 PM

Tags: #cs6

I'm making a sprite sheet and need layers to be in order when distributing horizontal centers.

When I hit the appropriate align button, layers are distributed correctly, but in a very strange order, almost seemingly random.

Whan'ts going on? I'm very familiar with photoshop, so I know what I'm doing. This is odd behaviour.

I order the layers botton to top, say, 1,2,3,4,5... and try it then. The result is random ordered distribution. So I tried reversing the layer order. Same result.

Hope this can get fixed guys because manually distributing the layers on a 40 step sprite sheet would be a nightmare.

Replies
  • Trevor Dennis
    5,873 posts
    May 24, 2010
    Apr 30, 2012 8:09 PM   in reply to peter_wunder

Peter, I have just tried it, and the distribution is in keeping with the layer order. Then I tried it again, but this time off-setting a random layer, and the distribution again stayed in layer order skipping the offset layer.  So just to be complete, I reversed the layers in the stack and tried once more, and the distribution followed the new layer order.

Is there anything special about your layers?  Are they Smart objects or in different groups or anything like that?  I can't think what might be going on otherwise.

|
    Mark as:
  • Trevor Dennis
    5,873 posts
    May 24, 2010
    Apr 30, 2012 8:20 PM   in reply to Trevor Dennis

OK, I just made it break the layer order by adding an additional layer with different content, and that started somewhere in the middle of the page.  I tried placing the layers randomly on the screen, and the order defaulted to the least amount of movement to put them in their new location.

Try this.

Select all layers, and hit Align centres.  Then place the top layer on the far right position (assuming it is a horizontal distribution) and _then_ hitting Distribute horizontal centers.  That forced the distribution to follow the layre order for me.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 1, 2012 6:23 PM   in reply to peter_wunder

The alignment tools on my end seem to be working properly, at least for the document I'm imagining you to be working with. I think a video would help give us a more detailed idea of what you're describing

The align and distribute commands do not reposition your layers to match layer order though (as far as I'm aware), not sure if that's what you're hoping for it to do. They align or distribute based off of the current positions of the layers selected.

If you're still seeing the random behavior, could you record a video of it and post it here to the forums for us to see?

You can use a free recording application such as Jing for this purpose, it works great.

Thanks

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 2, 2012 4:09 PM   in reply to peter_wunder

Nice screenshots.

I'm thinking you'll find the trouble is from having all of them clumped in one lump before doing the distribute. As I mentioned before, the distribute commands do not take layer order into considersation, and distributes the layers that are selected based off of their position and center relative to the other objects it's moving with.

So in your case, you'll want to position the letters in the order you want to see them (alphabetical order) prior to distribution of their centers (which is spacing them so that the spacing is even, not in order)

Have a look at my screenshots of my document setup similar to yours using the clumped together method and distribution (first set of shots with results), and using the manual ordering of the position, then distributing. (second set of shots with results)

distributeshot.jpg

Hope this helps

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points