Skip navigation
DJ_DOO
Currently Being Moderated

Difference in Image Quality from Develop to Library

May 2, 2012 12:33 PM

Hi....

I'm a light room noobie (as in I downloaded it 2 days ago).  I'm loving the experience so far, however, I have a quick question, I have edited a few photos I took at a gig, I've developed them, however, when I look at them in Library, there is a loss of sharpness in some, in others where I've reduced noise in Develop, there is still noise when viewed in Library.  This is more than likely something silly I'm doing, I would really appreciate any guidance or assistance anyone could pass on to a beginner

Thanks in advance

Gary

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 2, 2012 12:37 PM   in reply to DJ_DOO

Try to render 1:1 previews. Or just zoom in and out.

|
    Mark as:

I've had a similiar issue, and as Dorin states, zooming in and out does work - the image becomes sharper when you view it in 'fit' mode once it's been zoomed into 1:1. However, it's not especially ideal when you need to do this with lots of images, and it appears that you need to do it each and every time you view an image using loupe view in the library after having shut down LR. Rendering 1:1 seems to make no difference (I have LR set to render 1:1 previews by default for all images). Also, it can take several seconds to zoom in when you first view an image in loupe, despite the 1:1 preview already having been rendered in advance. Not the end of the world, but not really ideal either.

To the OP: are you using a large monitor? Mine's a 27" 2560x1400, and I wonder if LR isn't able to store previews for monitors of that resolution (I note that the max size in the preferences is 2048px). Perhaps the "extra" pixels mean that it has to re-render a 1:1 preview on the fly? Just a wild guess as I'm pretty new to LR myself (previoulsy an avid Bridge and ACR user).

M

|
    Mark as:
    May 2, 2012 2:07 PM   in reply to DJ_DOO

In print and export the Develop version is used, Draft mode printing uses the Library previews.

|
    Mark as:
    May 3, 2012 7:41 AM   in reply to DJ_DOO

As Dorin states, the Develop version is used when exporting and printing, otherwise I wouldn't have put "Not the end of the world, but not really ideal either"!! I would have been a bit less laid back about this otherwise!

I'd still prefer to see sharper previews in the Library module though. Very interesting that you're also using a 27" monitor: perhaps LR needs to be updated to take these larger screen resolutions into account in the Library module, given that they're very common now after all.

M

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points