Skip navigation
Hewlet_Zar
Currently Being Moderated

Is Premiere Pro CS6 a really "non destructive software"?!?

Apr 29, 2012 4:19 PM

Please, watch the video demonstration in 720p.

The same issue like in version CS5.5

Replies 1 2 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 30, 2012 7:58 AM   in reply to Hewlet_Zar

What is the issue here? Please can you explain!

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 30, 2012 10:28 AM   in reply to Hewlet_Zar

There will likely be a paucity of responses to this issue until CS6 is actually released and the regulars of this forum have a chance to test it out.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 30, 2012 11:59 AM   in reply to Hewlet_Zar

In Program Monitor window, try changing Playback Resolution and Paused Resolution to FULL, see if that helps at all

Jeff Pulera

Safe Harbor Computers

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 30, 2012 12:03 PM   in reply to SAFEHARBOR11

I have seen this issue in CS5.5 also.

Jeff: If you look closely playback is set to full.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 30, 2012 1:05 PM   in reply to Hewlet_Zar

I wouldn't expect the results you are seeing, would you be willing to share a clip with us?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 30, 2012 1:29 PM   in reply to SteveHoeg

It looks to me like its a MPE issue.

When MPE is turned on the pixels shift, when MPE is turned off the pixels stay where they are.

I used a HDV clip.

|
    Mark as:
    May 1, 2012 10:09 AM   in reply to Hewlet_Zar

You may want to recheck your upload.  The file size is reported as 0KB and Download doesn't actually do anything.

|
    Mark as:
    May 1, 2012 10:30 AM   in reply to Jim Simon

There are some ads on the page. I got a "put in the letters box" and downloaded 67Meg. I went back after your post, and I can't tell the ads from the "real" download button. It is a single zip file.

|
    Mark as:
    May 1, 2012 11:36 AM   in reply to Hewlet_Zar

Just tested it; its present in all clips.

|
    Mark as:
    May 1, 2012 11:44 AM   in reply to Hewlet_Zar

I have received the clips and will be looking into this issue.

|
    Mark as:
    May 1, 2012 6:38 PM   in reply to Hewlet_Zar

Have you tested this by adding the effect to an adjustment layer yet?  I wonder if it would perform better.

|
    Mark as:
    May 2, 2012 10:34 AM   in reply to Hewlet_Zar

Curious.

Just those effects?  No others?

|
    Mark as:
    May 2, 2012 12:32 PM   in reply to Hewlet_Zar

I don't have CS6 to test in, but I did notice similar behavior in CS5.

|
    Mark as:
    May 2, 2012 2:16 PM   in reply to Hewlet_Zar

Well, it does seem as if Steve is personally invested (to some degree, at least) in making sure the team addresses this issue.  So that's a good thing.

For myself, I tend to prefer Colorista for my CC work.  And with SpeedGrade included, that's another option.  It may not be the work flow you want, but it will probably allow you to get the work done at the quality you desire until the issue gets resolved.

|
    Mark as:
    May 2, 2012 2:51 PM   in reply to Jim Simon

I just added Colorista II to a clip an guess what, the scopes jumped!

So its not just related to Adobe effects.

|
    Mark as:
    May 2, 2012 4:26 PM   in reply to Ann Bens

I do not get that myself from the original Colorista in CS5.

|
    Mark as:
    May 8, 2012 6:26 PM   in reply to Hewlet_Zar

You should not expect such a rapid turn around for this issue.  It'd be really nice, but Adobe's pace is more often "glacial" than "MTV".

|
    Mark as:
    May 8, 2012 8:05 PM   in reply to Jim Simon

It can be fixed but we cannot commit to any timeframe. Fixing and testing changes can often take months.

|
    Mark as:
    May 9, 2012 5:30 AM   in reply to Hewlet_Zar

I feel like adding my own 2 cents here....

I am not a professional color grader, and color grading has a limited application in most of my work. However, when I do any color correction, I am usually making subtle adjustments and NEED them to work well and so it does infuriate me a bit to have this issue brought to my attention. If I am wrangling not only the original color in the video along with PPro's accidental color adjustments as well, that is just exhausting to think about.

Again, admittedly I never knew about this or noticed it or anything like that, so you could argue that I don't have a foot to stand on in this discussion. However, the thing that is such an annoyance is that apparently at least one user already brought this to Adobe's attention (a user who seems quite capable with color work) and it went unresolved for whatever reason....deadlines, cutoffs, resources, whatever.

I'm quite pleased to see that Steve has acknowledged the problem and is working on a fix (confirming that it CAN be fixed, which is nice). But I'm still having a hard time wrapping my head around the idea that this even happens in the first place on the 6th generation of Premiere Pro software and the first version to practically be banging people's heads in with the whole "best professional NLE" ad blitz all over the web.

Anyway, succinctly put...."Adobe, WTF?" and also "thanks for fixing this Steve."

|
    Mark as:
    May 9, 2012 6:20 AM   in reply to SteveHoeg

I had a look at this a long time ago and are certainly not denying it's existance it's real and it's there.

What I tested led me to believe that the shifts in colour were to me a very slight error with colour value mapping as if it was an incorrect LUT

The errors I got were between a 1% & .5% colour shift.

I found a full red field with 30% luminance gave no errors at all.

25% luminance gave a .5% rise in blue only

20% lum gave a drop of .5% in red

40% lum gave a 1% rise in red and a .5% rise in blue.

60% lum gave a 1% rise in blue only.

The variations are prevalent and different for Blue and green... you could go all day..

With my limited knowledge I thought, well you would be hard pressed to make .5% adjustments anyway.

and isn't the idea of colour correcting to change the colour to what you want anyway?

I too like everything pristine and in order and would like to see it fixed but hardly think it's a ball breaker.

Cheers

|
    Mark as:
    May 9, 2012 10:34 AM   in reply to Christian Jolly

I never knew about this or noticed it

Same here.  In fact, the only changes I see are very subtle in the scopes themselves.  I can't detect any change to the actual footage.

|
    Mark as:
    May 9, 2012 4:49 PM   in reply to Hewlet_Zar

same here ... i can acknowledge this problem - tested with xdcam hd 422 mxf files in 50i filmed with a sony xdcam pdw-f800

|
    Mark as:
    May 10, 2012 2:33 PM   in reply to Hewlet_Zar

Ok, ok...you are frustrated.  But don't take it out on the people who are engaging with you and giving their time to try and work it out.

|
    Mark as:
    May 10, 2012 5:24 PM   in reply to Hewlet_Zar

I'm sorry Hewlet that you feel so frustrated. My actual testing indicated .5 % not 5%.

I can assure you 2 things.

1) If it was 5% we would all be just as concerned

2) I have been in this industry for 30 Years and actually learned my colour grading skills from a person who was colour blind. I learnt how to grade by scopes only therefore I consider myself a proffesional and so do all our clients that keep coming back for grading.

Please don't take this the wrong way but this forum is for people to help each other out, give opinions and workarounds for what I think is a great piece of software.

We all hear your concerns but now I feel they are becoming a bit loud.

I assume that you are a pro and have external scopes that perform more vigorous and acurate testing... so, maybe you could focus on the issue and test like I did.

It sounds like you have tested all other NLEs

in all of the other NLEs doesn't exist

so I think you have solved your problem... go to a different NLE

|
    Mark as:
1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers