Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

I have a business card from a client with live editable fields. How do I get rid of those?

May 2, 2012 2:08 PM

A guy came in the other day to have us print some busness cards.

He's a rep for some company so the company has the front and back PDF printable files online. The backside of the business card... that PDF has editable fields that the rep can add his info to personalize. So we did that and I sent the files to our print broker. The job is on hold because those fields are still editable and it's throwing off flags in their pre-press department.

I tried dropping that PDF into InDesign and exporting a PDF from there but the resulting PDF will still allow you to click on the web or email and take you to a browser or email app and that's what the guy in their pre-press department said was a "problem". Any way to shed that stuff so it's not a link in the PDF?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 2, 2012 2:16 PM   in reply to TwitchOSX

Export to PDF (Print) and uncheck the Hyperlinks and interactive checkboxes.

By default Acrobat and Reader will treat things that look like URLs as hyperlinks when you view the PDF, but they shouldn't throw any flags.

|
    Mark as:
    May 2, 2012 3:06 PM   in reply to TwitchOSX

I wonder the same thing. First of all, it's a non-issue as far as I know, for a print workflow, and second, he should reset his prefernces so the links aren't made automatically in Acrobat.

|
    Mark as:
  • lilia@
    196 posts
    Jan 31, 2012
    Currently Being Moderated
    May 2, 2012 3:50 PM   in reply to TwitchOSX

You could flatten the pdf... so the fields are no longer editable.

http://www.uvsar.com/projects/acrobat/flattener/

|
    Mark as:
    May 2, 2012 5:47 PM   in reply to lilia@

It can be the way the way that Acrobat is setup. In the General Preferences tab for Acrobat is a checkbox which if checked will automatically make a URL a clickable link.

Screen shot 2012-05-02 at 5.44.19 PM.png

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 15, 2012 6:55 PM   in reply to TwitchOSX

You might need to flatten it. But the image shown by Larry seems to solve the problem. What did you do to solve it?

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points