Skip navigation
kentfromtx
Currently Being Moderated

Buying Old Versions of Premiere Pro - Is it legal? How to do it?

May 2, 2012 3:18 PM

I want Adobe Premiere Pro.  I'd like to know if it is possible for me to purchase an older version (either brand new or used) for less money (and legally).  I'm sort of a out of the loop when it comes to Premiere, because I haven't purchased an Adobe Premiere product since 2003, and I've been told things have changed.  I was told I cannot buy PremierePro alone anymore but have to buy at as part of a bundle within Adobe CS.

So what I am ultimately wanting to know is:

1.   Can I still buy just Adobe Premiere Pro alone?

2.   Can I legally buy older versions and install them on my computer?

3.   Are there different "versions" of "versions", and if so, how do I know wich one to buy?

For instance. I wanted to simply look in to buying Adobe Premiere Pro CS5.5.  After doing a short google search for "Premiere Pro CS5.5", I found a wide range of products for sale on various websites including amazon, ebay, and others. The prices on all of the results vary widely and sometimes the descriptions differ.  One example is the three following results from Google Shop that had the same basic product description but some of the details didn't match.

Listing #1:

Adobe Premiere Pro CS5.5 - PC - DVD-ROM - Universal English  

$547 online

April 2011, Complete package, 1 user: Standard

BrandAdobe Systems
Part Numbers65107659, Pro CS5.5
GTIN00883919207421

Listing #2:

$234 online

April 2011, Version / product upgrade package, 1 user: Standard

BrandAdobe Systems
Part Numbers65108023, Pro CS5.5
GTIN00883919208039

Listing #3:

$169 online

April 2011, Version upgrade package, 1 user: Standard

BrandAdobe Systems
Part Numbers65108200, Pro CS5.5
GTIN00883919208343

So, in a nutshell I want to know if I can buy an earlier version of Adobe Premiere Pro without buying the whole creative suite; and if I buy a used copy will it be legal; and when I do buy one, what specifically do I need to look for to make sure it is legit (not a trial version or academic version or whatever).

I coud write forever but hopefully someone can answer my questions from what I've got so far, if not, a least it's a start. Thanks.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 4, 2012 8:44 AM   in reply to kentfromtx

1 - yes, click the PRODUCTS link at the top left and see for yourself... Premiere Pro and Encore are bundled

2 - not sure... I've read that Adobe is (has?) changing things so people may not sell previously licensed software... which used to be possible if the owner DE-activated and filled out a form

The 3 "versions" you post are...

1- full version, you do not need to have any previous version

2- upgrade, you must have a previous version to install

3- upgrade, not sure why price is different than #2

Be VERY wary of buying eBay... lots of real looking fakes

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers