New Viewer Builder (2.0.0) available and mandatory

May 2, 2012 10:15 AM

Replies
  • Bob Bringhurst
    4,629 posts
    May 29, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    May 2, 2012 10:40 AM   in reply to Branislav Milic

You beat me to it. The new Viewer Builder includes iPhone support. The rest of the tools should be updated in about ten hours from now. I'll post an announcement with links to new features, etc.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 2, 2012 1:44 PM   in reply to Bob Bringhurst

Will this require an update to the Adobe Content Viewer? If so when will this be submitted to Apple if it hasn't already and when do you expect the update to go live?

|
    Mark as:
    May 2, 2012 1:48 PM   in reply to Fuel Advertising 4

No!

Just don’t update the tools.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    May 2, 2012 2:28 PM   in reply to Bob Bringhurst

iPhone support! Great news! Thanks, Adobe!

|
    Mark as:
  • Bob Bringhurst
    4,629 posts
    May 29, 2007
    May 2, 2012 2:31 PM   in reply to Romanov.a0137

The Adobe Content Viewer has been submitted and it's in review. How long the review will take is anyone's guess.

|
    Mark as:
    May 2, 2012 2:57 PM   in reply to Branislav Milic

iPhone support is of course great, but makes me sad that support is just for multi-issue, not single-issue .

|
    Mark as:
    May 2, 2012 3:31 PM   in reply to Martin Lér

No Single Editions on the iPhone? Is this an error in the viewer builder or intended? Can you give us an explanation that we can give our clients? :-/

—Johannes

|
    Mark as:
    May 2, 2012 3:45 PM   in reply to Johannes Eckert

To track the status of the submission of the content viewer to the various marketplaces, please see my new post: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/998106?tstart=0.

Neil

|
    Mark as:
  • Bob Bringhurst
    4,629 posts
    May 29, 2007
    May 2, 2012 3:47 PM   in reply to Neil Enns - Adobe

Single Edition for the iPhone didn't make it into this release, but the DPS team is working on it.

|
    Mark as:
    May 2, 2012 3:52 PM   in reply to Bob Bringhurst

Please make sure you are installing viewer builder 2.0.0. In order to do this for many browsers you need to flush your cache before hitting the link in VB that fetches the new version for download. Quite often the browser will cache the older version. If you see that you are downloading version 1.9.0 instead of 2.0.0, flush your default browser cache and hit the link again.

|
    Mark as:
    May 2, 2012 5:03 PM   in reply to John J Metzger

I generated the Adobe Content Viewer for the iPhone, but I could not install it on my iPod touch (wich I have for simulating iPhone behaviour).

Why is the Viewer Builder only asking for Horizontal Splash Screens for a new iPhone app?

—Johannes

|
    Mark as:
    May 2, 2012 5:12 PM   in reply to Johannes Eckert

same behaviour on an iPhone 3GS. Ad-Hoc app from the server loads, installs and then disappears from the home screen.

When syncing via iTunes, i get the error message "App XYZ cannot be installed".

—Johannes

|
    Mark as:
    May 2, 2012 6:04 PM   in reply to Branislav Milic

I have installed ACV on my phone and it works.

|
    Mark as:
    May 2, 2012 10:40 PM   in reply to tony kamberi ug

Ha ha false Alarm.

In the quick rush deep in the night I forgot to add the iPhone/iPad to the

moboleprovision.

Otherwise... one of the apps tested was an enterprise signed app. Hm.

Still testing today.

(mobil gesendet)

Am 03.05.2012 03:04 schrieb "tony kamberi ug" <forums@adobe.com>:

Re: New Viewer Builder (2.0.0) available and mandatory  created by tony

kamberi ug <http://forums.adobe.com/people/tonykamberiug> in *Digital

Publishing Suite* - View the full discussion<http://forums.adobe.com/message/4375707#4375707

|
    Mark as:
    May 3, 2012 4:31 AM   in reply to Branislav Milic

This seems to add another variable into the DPS equation. I thought the Builder was strictly the panel inside InDesign, and the Viewer the program used to test apps before you submit them. Now it seems there is a Builder-Viewer app that is stand-alone / not inside InDesign. Where does this fit in?

Adobe needs to rethink this entire "ecosystem" and simplify it. No more panels that show no content / require updates at random times. Build in the functionality, have it available in ONE place, have it always visible and usable, and make the point where you compile and submit something the point at which logins and subscription payments are required. This whole setup of downloading plugins and updating panels is not user-friendly or typical of the way Adobe does things in other apps.

|
    Mark as:
    May 3, 2012 4:53 AM   in reply to VanGrenade

It is getting better but you'll need to be patient.

With CS6 these tools will be updated the same way other patches are done, through the help>updates feature.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    May 3, 2012 4:58 AM   in reply to Bob Levine

Bob: where does the Builder-Viewer app fit into the design process equation? What does it do that the builder panel and viewer app that I read about in past versions, don't do?

|
    Mark as:
    May 3, 2012 5:04 AM   in reply to VanGrenade

Viewer builder is the app used to actually create the app which will be submitted to Apple. You add icons, splash screens, certificates and, in the case of single edition, the published folio.

You can see it now by visiting digitalpublishing.acrobat.com and signing in. Note this is Mac only.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    May 3, 2012 5:16 AM   in reply to Bob Levine

Thank you. Sounds like it's the equivalent of iTunes Producer for DPS. Luckily I am a Mac user so I'll be able to take advantage of it if I can figure out how to get the whole system up and running first.

|
    Mark as:
    May 3, 2012 5:24 AM   in reply to Branislav Milic

Just created a custom viewer app, worked without any problems. The pdf zoom behavior is working fine, I used layouts from another folio. Allthough the iPhone has another aspect ratio, 3:2 instead of 4:3, so all layouts need to be adapted, if you want to use the same.

One question pops up, since I don't have a iPhone 3 here to test at the moment, do we need to do the same with renditions for iPhone 3/3GS (480x320) and iPhone 4/4S (960x640)?

|
    Mark as:
    May 3, 2012 5:56 AM   in reply to Branislav Milic

Idea - we would like to see switch in Viewer Builder, which will limit supported iPhone/iPod touch devices just to those with Retina display. So that our viewer can install just users with iPhone 4/4S and iPod touch (4th generation).I belive that this i just some XML setting, so it should be not big deal..

|
    Mark as:
    May 3, 2012 5:57 AM   in reply to Nortau

Yes, you need to use renditions, and just one note, viewer is NOT supported on iPhone 3G, just 3GS (according to documentation)

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points