(77k)

Thanks in advance!

Alejandro

Error_Adobe_Reader_X.PNG

Correct_Nitro_Reader.PNG

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 2, 2012 11:05 AM   in reply to TejadaCapellan

Can you also provide the original .ai file?

|
    Mark as:
    May 2, 2012 11:42 AM   in reply to TejadaCapellan

It is not clear from all you said, what does Illustrator have to do with your problem. You provided a PDF file that opens in CS5 exactly as you showed it on the image in your post. Are you saying that this PDF file will open differently in CS4?

|
    Mark as:
    May 2, 2012 12:34 PM   in reply to TejadaCapellan

I don't have Illustrator CS4 around me to test it but in CS5 I just selected all Ctrl+A and removed all clipping masks with Ctrl+Alt+7. These clipping masks don't do anything anyway but just clip the edges if the letters. Then I saved as .ai and also as PDF with and without Preserve Illustrator Editing and then opened again all files without any problems. Hopefully someone here has access to CS4 and will open your pdf to see if these clipping masks problem is there.

La_Tormenta_for_PDF_export.jpg

|
    Mark as:
    May 2, 2012 12:56 PM   in reply to TejadaCapellan

Yes, appears to be a CS5 issue. CS6 shows the same behavior as CS4.

CS4 = No masks

CS5 = Masks

CS6 = No masks

As emil emil posted, simply deleting all the masks in CS5 brings the art in line with CS4 or CS6.

|
    Mark as:
    May 2, 2012 12:56 PM   in reply to emil emil

I don't want to point fingers as I have no idea where the culprit is but often these kind of problems are caused by software that doesn't follow strictly a standard like the PDF file format standard in this case, So, it is possible that the problem could be caused by the program that created the PDF file. It is not unusual programmers to save time by simply testing their code making sure it works instead of following strictly the file format standard. In such cases everything works fine until a new version of the software is created.

|
    Mark as:
    May 2, 2012 1:02 PM   in reply to TejadaCapellan

Didn't see Scott's reply before I wrote my previous post, so after his report I'm inclined to believe that the problem comes from CS5 but so far limited with files created with the software that made the PDF.

TejadaCapellan wrote:

Just for curiosity. How do you know exactly which

clipping masks to delete?

Deleting all clipping mask in a design would

be a real problem in most cases.

Alejandro

I just tried that first and it didn't seem to cause any problems.

|
    Mark as:
    May 2, 2012 1:26 PM   in reply to TejadaCapellan

I wonder what will happen if the PDF file is re-saved from CS4 or 6 as PDF and then tested again in CS5. Or even better save as .AI and then as PDF

|
    Mark as:
    May 2, 2012 1:36 PM   in reply to emil emil

emil emil wrote:

I wonder what will happen if the PDF file is re-saved from CS4 or 6 as PDF and then tested again in CS5. Or even better save as .AI and then as PDF

Opened in CS6, Save as PDF (Illustrator Defaults), open in CS5 = no masks.

So you're correct. CS5 is reading some aspect fo the PDF which the other AI version are not. And upon a resave that erronious data seems to be corrected.

Note: Open PDF in Acrobat Pro X (10.1.3) save as PDF, open in CS5 = Masks still present. So Resaving via Acrobat Pro X is of no help.

|
    Mark as:
    May 2, 2012 2:07 PM   in reply to TejadaCapellan

Sure:

http://www11.zippyshare.com/v/69123857/file.html

Resaved via CS6 as Illustrator Defaults. Seems the primary difference is the new PDF has a clipping mask around the entire artboard. That can easily be deleted though.

http://www65.zippyshare.com/v/32189367/file.html

Resaved from CS4 as Illustrator Defaults... no masks anywhere.

|
    Mark as:
    May 2, 2012 3:28 PM   in reply to TejadaCapellan

If you look at the PDF info you can see that AICS6 and AICS4 (and CS5) use PDF 1.5 as the default format. The Xara export is using PDF 1.6. So it may be a bug in the PDF 1.6 format. Or a bug in how Xara is writing PDF1.6 as emil emil eluded to. Things may be entirely different if Xara is set to use PDF1.5 for the export.

|
    Mark as:
    May 2, 2012 4:48 PM   in reply to TejadaCapellan

CS6 - Every file has clipping masks. Not the same masks originally, but there are masks.

CS5 - Every single file has clipping masks. Not the same original masks and not the same masks which show in CS6, but there are masks.

CS4 - no masks anywhere in any of the files.

The original PDF in the opening post of this thread was cleaner in CS6 than any of the recent PDFs.

|
    Mark as:
    May 2, 2012 4:59 PM   in reply to TejadaCapellan

GLad to help.

I'm guessing that the issue may be the gradient changes in CS5 and CS6. CS5 allows transparency on Gradient Meshes. CS6 allows gradients on strokes (with transparency as well).

It's customary to see clipping masks when AI art is back-saved to older versions or saved to older PDF formats. The gradients get rasterized and a clipping mask is created from the shape. It would appear that the Xara export is being read the same way.

Sometimes ticking the "Compatible Gradients" option when backsaving AI files will resolve the issue. If there's some preference in the Xara export regarding gradients or meshes, you may look at those settings closer (sorry I don't really know Xara at all since it's PC-only).

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points