Skip navigation
quailmandingo
Currently Being Moderated

How do you capture video footage so there will only be 1 stereo track of audio in a sequence?

May 1, 2012 1:03 PM

Hello everybody. This might be a stupid question but oh well. Ive been capturing my clips in stereo and when I put them in a sequnece I would like the video to go to Video 1 and the audio to Audio 1, but the audio seems to take up Audio 1 and Audio 2 only there is no actual sound in Audio 2. Of course I can just delete the useless track in Audio 2 but it's pretty time consuming to do that to every clip. This is driving me insane, any insight would be greatly appreciated. By the way Im running a mid 2011 mac with Lion OS and CS5.

Peace.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 1, 2012 1:11 PM   in reply to quailmandingo

The behavior you describe simply doesn't happen under normal circumstances.  The only scenario I can imagine that would cause this is recording the audio in 12 bit 4 channel mode, and using a different capture utility for the actual capture.  That might create a file with two audio tracks.

Other than that, I just don't see how this behavior is possible.

|
    Mark as:
    May 1, 2012 1:12 PM   in reply to quailmandingo

Select all clips in Project Panel.

Right click and go to Modity/Audio Channels.

Disable the flatliner.

This must be done before setting the clips on the timeline.

|
    Mark as:
    May 1, 2012 3:02 PM   in reply to quailmandingo

By shooting it that way.  However, PP will only capture the default 1&2 audio channels.  You'd have to be using some other software to be capturing the secondary 3&4 channels.

|
    Mark as:
    May 1, 2012 11:09 PM   in reply to quailmandingo

I've just never seen anything like that.  The only thing close to an explanation I can come up with is yet another quirk of Quirktime.

|
    Mark as:
    May 2, 2012 5:51 AM   in reply to quailmandingo

My footage was shot on a Sony VX 1000 wich records audio in 12 bit,

It records 12 bit for 4 channels. Did you record 4 channels?

Premiere captures in 16 bit 2 channels left and right to create 1 stereo track.

For my PDX10, Premiere does not capture 48K audio correctly and I use scenalyzer.  For a few cameras in that era, sony chose to write a special marker to define the 4 audio channels that are used, and this marker is not recognised by Premiere.

Ive captured the same way on previous versions of premiere and had no problems with this

From the same camera? Using .mov?

|
    Mark as:
    May 2, 2012 12:29 PM   in reply to quailmandingo

The camera itself records 4 channels I believe becuase it's 12 bit, but capturing in Premiere 16 bit

That's unlikely.  Capture doesn't change anything, it's just a direct copy process.  The 1's and 0's go from tape to hard drive "as is".

So if it's capturing at 16 bit, then it must have been recorded that way.  And 16 bit allows for only two channels of audio.

But even if it were recorded at 12 bit with 4 channels, PP itself can only copy over the data from the first two channels.  It doesn't have the ability to copy the extra two channels.

So..I still think this is a system error, or a problem with QuickTime.  You can test that by capturing the same tapes on a PC, where the default file format is AVI.

|
    Mark as:
    May 2, 2012 1:25 PM   in reply to quailmandingo

The camera has two stereo channels in 12 bit audio.

see the manual.

|
    Mark as:
    May 2, 2012 2:10 PM   in reply to Ann Bens

I suspect that's a misprint.  I've never heard of a DV camera (carrying the DV logo) that couldn't do the full DV spec, which includes 16 bit stereo.

Having used the camera in the past for multicam shoots, I also don't recall being limited to 12 bit audio.

|
    Mark as:
    May 2, 2012 2:31 PM   in reply to Jim Simon

Yes of course there is a 1 stereo channel in 16 bit, i was only refering to the 12 bit, as OP recorded in 12 bit.

The 12 bit channel can be used for dubbing.

|
    Mark as:
    May 2, 2012 4:24 PM   in reply to Ann Bens

OP recorded in 12 bit.

Well, he said it was coming in as 16 bit, so that's unlikely.  Capture won't change the bit depth of recorded audio.

|
    Mark as:
    May 2, 2012 6:14 PM   in reply to quailmandingo

Your link is messed up:

http://www.videoforums.co.uk/adobe-premiere-premiere-elements-after-ef fects/31313-premiere-pro-cs5-capture-help.html

The camera itself records 4 channels I believe becuase it's 12 bit, but capturing in Premiere 16 bit so it can be 1 stereo track.

What is your sequence setting? You should be in an SD 32bit, right?

Did you record on channels 3 and 4? I see no waveforms in your track 2, so I assume you recorded only channels 1 and 2. If so, you should have used 16bit audio.

In Premiere the  " Default Track Format " is automatically set to " use file " in which the audio for vx 1000 footage is split across 4 mono tracks.

I would not change that default. The file audio for VX1000 set to 32bit mode is 4 mono tracks. Since that's what you shot, keep that as your sequence setting, capture it as 32bitg, and, if you want, set the audio differently use modify audio.

Premiere audio conforming is using higher rate even if it is 32bit, right? Just export it as you really want it.

|
    Mark as:
    May 3, 2012 4:36 PM   in reply to quailmandingo

I still think you should try capturing on a Windows machine to create AVI files.  I suspect something is off with QuickTime.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points