Skip navigation
EclecticMayhem
Currently Being Moderated

Can anyone advise about InDesign CS3 purchase?

May 2, 2012 5:43 PM

Tags: #indesign_cs3

I represent a small charity, staffed by volunteers.  We're hoping to invest in InDesign for three users but we're in three different states and are each running macs of different ages and capabilities.  It looks like InDesign CS3 is the only version of the software that all three of our computers can handle but I realise I can't buy it from Adobe anymore.

If I can get a copy of CS3 from a third-party seller (all legal and above board of course - it just looks like old stock) will I be okay to register the software with Adobe?  And IF that would be okay is there a way to get licenses for the other two users to use the same copy of CS3 (hopefully licenses that take our status as a 501(c) 3 organisation into account).

Thanks in advance for taking the time to read and answer, sorry if the question is naive; I can use the software but I've never had to buy it or sort licenses before!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 2, 2012 6:13 PM   in reply to EclecticMayhem

My advice...forget it.

Your chances of finding legit copies of CS3, which as of Monday will be 4 versions out of date, are slim and none.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    May 2, 2012 8:35 PM   in reply to EclecticMayhem

EclecticMayhem wrote:

I represent a small charity, staffed by volunteers.  We're hoping to invest in InDesign for three users but we're in three different states and are each running macs of different ages and capabilities.  It looks like InDesign CS3 is the only version of the software that all three of our computers can handle but I realise I can't buy it from Adobe anymore.

If I can get a copy of CS3 from a third-party seller (all legal and above board of course - it just looks like old stock) will I be okay to register the software with Adobe?  And IF that would be okay is there a way to get licenses for the other two users to use the same copy of CS3 (hopefully licenses that take our status as a 501(c) 3 organisation into account).

Thanks in advance for taking the time to read and answer, sorry if the question is naive; I can use the software but I've never had to buy it or sort licenses before!

Your question isn't necessarily naïve, but it is overly hopeful. If you were able to find legal unregistered InDesign CS3 in stock, it's so far out of date, you shouldn't have to pay much, and perhaps you could even convince the legal seller to donate it for the deduction your non-profit status entitles them to.

IIRC, the license requires non-simultaneous use of the two authorizations it permits, by the same user, so different users in different locations would violate this requirement.

There are some groups that manage sofware swaps, exchanges, philanthropists, etc. Search Google for terms like "philanthropic donations of legal software to non-profits," and similar terms without quotes for organizations that do this. Also, some corporations have programs of charitable giving. You might have to dig around Adobe.com a lot to find theirs. Perhaps a call or email to customer service could work. But, again, finding CS3 won't be easy.

HTH

Regards,

Peter

Peter Gold

KnowHow ProServices

|
    Mark as:
    May 3, 2012 1:50 AM   in reply to EclecticMayhem

You might also check with a volume reseller (they can sell as few as 1 license). Used to be if they sold you the current version they could also provide a downgrade.

|
    Mark as:
    May 3, 2012 7:04 AM   in reply to EclecticMayhem

You may well want to consider a Creative Cloud membership.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
  • John Hawkinson
    5,572 posts
    Jun 25, 2009
    Currently Being Moderated
    May 3, 2012 7:47 AM   in reply to EclecticMayhem

Thank you for the encouragement.  I think our best bet is probably to get at least one of my colleagues a new computer and go from there!

That's probably true. The minimal computer necessary to run InDesign isn't very expensive.

Peter noted:

You might also check with a volume reseller (they can sell as few as 1 license). Used to be if they sold you the current version they could also provide a downgrade.

While true, officially they only permit downgrades to the prior version, i.e. buy CS5.5 and downgrade to CS5. While there may have been some fuzziness on downgrading to CS4 from CS5.5, I don't think CS3 was permitted.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points