Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Youtube sound problems: crackling/static sound

May 2, 2012 6:29 PM

This problem have been addressed in: http://forums.adobe.com/message/4320163#4320163

However, the solution (deleting cache and "site data and settings") is only temporarliy and the crackling sound returns after few videos/websites you browsed.

I'm currently using 10.3.183.10 and using the newer version will not even fix the issue as mentioned in the previous thread.

Are there any permenant solution to fix this problem?

Thank you, help would be appreciated it.

Replies
  • Xircal
    753 posts
    Mar 29, 2011
    May 3, 2012 4:41 AM   in reply to Kanade_

To assist us in quickly understanding your problem, please follow these guidelines when posting:

• Specify your operating system (including 32bit or 64bit edition)
    • Specify your web browser and version (including 32bit or 64bit edition)
    • Specify your Flash Player version
    • Give us a brief explanation of the problem, please include any information you feel is important

|
    Mark as:
  • Xircal
    753 posts
    Mar 29, 2011
    May 3, 2012 12:49 PM   in reply to Kanade_

Kanade_ wrote:

- Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit

- FireFox 9.0.1 64bit

- Whenver playing ANY videos on youtube, you can hear crackling noise like some old records. Its the same problem that have been addressed in http://forums.adobe.com/message/4320163#4320163 and the solution is only temporarliy fix. The newer version of flash player will not even fix the problem.

You should upgrade to the latest version of Firefox a.s.a.p since the version you have installed at the moment exposes your system to a number of exploits, details here: http://www.mozilla.org/security/known-vulnerabilities/firefox.html Download from here: http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/fx/

In the current version which is Firefox 12.0, there isn't a 64-bit version currently available, but running the 32-bit version won't influence performance detrimentally and you can have complete confidence running this version.

Similarly, you should download the latest version of Flash which is 11.2.202.233. Use this link to download the offline installer. Also, download this uninstaller and run that first to completely remove the version you have installed at the moment: Flash player uninstaller 64-bit Run this 32-bit uninstaller as well just to be sure. Reboot and then run the installer you downloaded earlier.

It's also a good idea to disable your antivirus before running the installer to prevent it corrupting the installation. If you're using AVAST, right click the orange icon in the systray and go to Avast Shields Control and choose to disable all shields for one hour. If you have another AV, consult this list for details on how to disable it: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic114351.html

|
    Mark as:
  • Chris Campbell
    9,456 posts
    May 4, 2010
    May 3, 2012 4:40 PM   in reply to Kanade_

We're preparing to release another beta of Flash Player 11.2 that contains some audio fixes.  I don't know if this particular issue is addressed, but if you start running into problems come back and look for the beta 3 release later this week at labs.adobe.com.

Chris

|
    Mark as:
  • Chris Campbell
    9,456 posts
    May 4, 2010
    May 4, 2012 4:59 PM   in reply to Kanade_

Beta 3 is out.  Please let us know how it works for you.

http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/flashplatformruntimes/flashplayer11 -3/

|
    Mark as:
  • Xircal
    753 posts
    Mar 29, 2011
    May 6, 2012 12:07 AM   in reply to Kanade_

Is it a PC or a laptop?

|
    Mark as:
  • Xircal
    753 posts
    Mar 29, 2011
    May 6, 2012 4:38 AM   in reply to Kanade_

Can you do the following please.

1. In Windows Control Panel, click "Flash Player".
    2. In the menu which opens, click the "Advanced" tab.
    3. In the top menu where it says, "Browser data and settings", click the "Delete All" button.
    4. Close the menu and then go to a site where the problem usually occurs.

|
    Mark as:
  • Xircal
    753 posts
    Mar 29, 2011
    May 6, 2012 5:46 AM   in reply to Kanade_

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 15, 2012 9:41 AM   in reply to Kanade_

With CHROME I disabled my extentions and the CPU load dropped and the crackling stopped.    You can do the same with firefox. 

Too many extentions load the cpu and cause stalling.

Another solution is to watch Videos with Internet Expolorer with no extentions.  IE seems to have less overhead.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 9, 2012 9:42 PM   in reply to Kanade_

I'm not sure if you are still having this issue or not. I was having this issue for a few months now trying to figure it out... And I believe I just did. The issue here is not actually Flash Player at all. I tried disabling all addons on firefox and... The videos would still play... crackly and all.. I even disabled flash player. This is when I realized that youtube wasn't using flash player. Go to http://www.youtube.com/html5 and go to the bottom of the page to disable YouTube using HTML5, Congrats you are now once again using flash player to stream youtube videos and should no longer get crackling on random videos.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 17, 2012 3:37 AM   in reply to Kanade_

thank you KaceyL - disabled HTML5 like you suggested and the crackling has gone completely!

was so annoyed the first time it appeared that I bookmarked the video & have gone back it to test all the fixes suggested so far but this is the first time it has played without crackling. it also appears to have fixed a related issue where audio would appear to "slow down" rather than pause/skip...

cheers!

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 17, 2012 9:56 AM   in reply to KaceyL

The HTML fix didn't help me.  The CPU is still overloaded and that causes the static. I can shut some things down untill the cpu load falls below 100% on windows task manager performance then the static is gone.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 17, 2012 11:22 AM   in reply to skywriteing

Then your crackling is an unrelated problem not having to do with Flash Player at all, Unless flash player is the reason for your CPU overload. Private message me your computer specs (Ram/Cpu/OS/Browser) As well as if you are using a laptop or desktop and I can do my best to troubleshoot your problem.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 8, 2013 3:46 PM   in reply to KaceyL

I had a problem with cracking or popping, more blaring than anything after a recent update (this was happening in all browsers and all flash and youtube vids). Resolved by reinstalling 10.3 as suggested. Thanks!

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 17, 2013 11:37 PM   in reply to Kanade_

Anyone can helped me fixed the problem please!!I'll thank you for ur kind hearted soul because i am really pissed searching for solutions all over the internet and none helped.i reuninstall to 10.3 and it didn't solve the problem...but apparently when using google chromo the static sound is lesser maybe because google chrome is faster compare to mozilla firefox?because when i'm using mozilla firefox while listening to music i scroll up and down the static sound is extremely irritating piercing to the ear and make the music sound like crap..

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 18, 2013 12:35 PM   in reply to StaticSoundKIlls

The difference is the LOAD on your CPU.   If you have a clean install of any browser, then it will likely work fine.  Or just a clean-er install.   For immediate fix copy the url from the top of the screen, then open a browser you don't have overloaded with features.  I open IE and it works every time.  My install of Firefox also works fine.  Chrome seems to load too much for me and starts stuttering.    If you don't use IE, then try it.  Likely it will run all video's smooth assuming it doesn't have too many add-ons.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 20, 2013 12:10 PM   in reply to skywriteing

what do you mean by load?oh i kindda understand what you mean,i just have a feeling or sense all this is cause by the computer loading not fast enough which is also can be call lag but there is no lag at all.I assume this because when i use google chrome youtube music video compare to mozilla while scrolling up and down the static sound have a huge difference.mozilla firefox is very obvious but google chrome is lesser which i think is because google chromo sound load is faster?but that doesn't mean mozilla internet speed is slow because when u take out the sound eg sites that don't have music or sound played, just loading page speed is around the same as google chrome.But to sum it all up,it just happened recently like few weeks ago.to be exact it's one week before chinese new year.Was thinking of restore but i can't restore to further date,sigh..If really no choice,i have to carry down the pc to repair which i really hopes not to just for the sound ..it gonna cause me alot of trouble&time to do that.anw i did try IE but it's the same ..when i play games like dota there isn't any problem to the sound.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 20, 2013 4:17 PM   in reply to StaticSoundKIlls

If you push Ctrl-Shift_del  you get Task manager.  Then choose "Performance" which will show the CPU usage ( I call system load).

Then watch the same video on different browsers. Chrome, firefox, or IE.   One of the three will have less CPU requirements.  Or just load a new or an old version of a browser.   Sometimes the older browsers work better, sometimes the newer ones. OldApps.com has old versions. http://www.oldapps.com/category/browsers

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 21, 2013 9:52 AM   in reply to skywriteing

oh,the cpu usage is only very low ranging for 10~20 only.but i did try on 3 browswer,google chrome the best as in low static noise,IE is as bad as mozilla static noise but last time till now i always uses mozilla and don't have this problem so i don't think is the newer browser or older one problem.because recently there's no update of browser for mozilla been using fine till recently.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 21, 2013 1:27 PM   in reply to StaticSoundKIlls

This is weird, but it fixed itself when I moved my Windows XP virtual memory file onto a new SSD. (Then, I tried putting it back on the hard disk and it STILL was better!) I just about never recommend "flailing" to fix a problem, but try changing your virtual memory file location (and then you can put it back as it was if you like) and see if it doesn't make a difference.

This is using an Edirol UA-1000 audio interface set to the lowest latency (96 samples).

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 22, 2013 8:59 AM   in reply to AdmiralQuality

wow this sounds difficult for a person who don't know much about the cpu stuff inside.which is the virtual memory file and what is SSD?what's flailing?i might try opening my cpu to see what's wrong ..thanks anw.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 22, 2013 10:22 AM   in reply to StaticSoundKIlls

"Flailing" is just what I call attempting to fix things by randomly fiddling with settings. Usually not a good ide

SSD is a solid state drive, a hard drive with no moving parts. But don't worry about that, that's not the point. (After moving my VM file there I put it back on the original disk it was on and the audio problems STILL got better.)

Now, I'm not SURE this will help, but it's worth a try. In Windows go to Control Panel | System | Advanced | Performance | Advanced | Virtual Memory (Change) and disable the Virtual Memory drive on C: (I believe it will let you do that, if not, try moving it to another drive like D:) We can't leave it this way, you'll need a VM file for optimal performance, but reboot, test your Flash audio -- is it better now? Then put the VM back the way it was and, if you're seeing what I'm seeing, for some reason the audio dropouts will be gone even though you've put all your settings back the way they were and reboot again. Are the dropouts still gone?

This doesn't make a whole lot of sense, that's part of why I consider it "flailing". Maybe if some others can test this we can determine if I'm actually on to something, or if it was just a coincidence. Might have something to do with fragmentation of the VM file maybe? That's the only thing I can think of that might be changing here.

Sorry to be so vague, but my audio problems are gone even though I'm using a semi-pro audio interface at a very low latency setting (which should be a worst case scenario for software that causes dropouts).

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 27, 2013 8:35 AM   in reply to AdmiralQuality

Hey thanks!wanted to try this what you have said,but thank god today i just on my computer and mozilla firefox updated and everything surprisely miracle solved!my static sound at IE google chrome and mozilla firefox is gone!now i can play music while scrolling or opening new tab without having the lagging sound which makes the static sound and it load fast now!i don't know is this really the problem and hope this is and solved for good or else it's just concindence that my computer auto fix temporary that if i shut down now and on it again next time the problem is backed :/

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points