Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Defringe - Local vs. Global Amount

May 2, 2012 6:24 PM

Tags: #green #defringe #longitudinal_chromatic_aberration #purple_hue #green_hue #local_amount #global_amount #locals #local_adjustments #purple_fringe

It seems local defringe @100 is much subtler correction than global @20.

How do the global / local amounts work???

To be more specific:

Purple/Green defringing can be applied globally (amount 0 to 20) or adjusted locally (-100 to +100).

But a local of +100 has considerably less "oomph" (strength of correction) than the global at 20.

???

-R

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 2, 2012 6:38 PM   in reply to Rob Cole

I don't know the answer to your question, but my experience tells me it doesn't really matter because, to me, only negative local is really useful.  Apply whatever global is needed to eliminate the problem and use local -100 with automask to "mask" the areas where it removes color that was really there in the original scene but just happened to be within the edge and color range selected in the global controls.

|
    Mark as:
    May 3, 2012 5:03 AM   in reply to Rob Cole

I think I read Eric Chan discussing this as follows:

if you need more "oomph" than the local +100 gives you, then you need to go global to +20 if need be, while "protecting" areas of the image that you don't want to have CA applied to, by applying local adjustments at -100 (this protects these parts of the image from the global slider setting)

|
    Mark as:
    May 3, 2012 5:40 AM   in reply to Rob Cole

Sorry about not providing the link, but glad that Dorin jumped in

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers