Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

May 2nd, requires a mandatory update of the folio builder panel question

May 2, 2012 4:49 PM

Does this update require another update for the Adobe content viewer on iPAD and will have to be approved from Apple again?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 2, 2012 5:00 PM   in reply to ebls2011

No, if all you update is your folio builder panel (and not the folio producer tools). From John's announcement:

"Note: Users are not required to update their Folio Producer Tools with this release, just the Folio Builder Panel. The panel is backward compatible with older versions of the producer tools."

If you choose to install the new producer tools as well then yes, you will need to use a new Adobe Content Viewer that is currently in review with Apple.

Neil

|
    Mark as:
    May 2, 2012 6:48 PM   in reply to ebls2011

Thanks so much for letting us know-- and for making sure I don't do what I did last time-- which was download the producer tools before apple had approved the new content viewer! 

|
    Mark as:
    May 3, 2012 4:52 AM   in reply to ebls2011

OK... I'm going to try this question one last time here since it's clearly a builder panel thread, and since CS6 is no longer under embargo and since people affiliated with the forum are linking to Adobe documents that discuss CS6 and the builder process.

1. My understanding is: if you have a suite with InDesign CS5, 5.5. or CS6, you should be able to experiment with and use the Builder panel without purchasing DPS Single Edition first. Is this correct?

2. If it IS correct, my copy of InDesign CS6 displays in the Builder panel the "you need an update" message... when I go to update, it spins for a second and says "you are up to date". So I am stuck in a loop, where I cannot get access to the tools needed to experiment with DPS workflow and see if I can accomplish what I need to accomplish before purchasing a SE license.

3. How do I fix this situation? How do I gain access to the design tools, try them out on some new CS6 documents, then later view them (I take it?) in the new 2.0 Builder-Viewer app?

I have searched threads and Help documents and nothing answers this "loop problem" that I'm seeing. Any help from anyone who has dealt with this or who knows how to fix it, is greatly and sincerely appreciated.

|
    Mark as:
    May 3, 2012 4:59 AM   in reply to VanGrenade

CS6 has not been officially released yet. You'll have to wait until it is and even then I would be patient.

And what do you mean by Builder Panel?

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    May 3, 2012 5:45 AM   in reply to Bob Levine

Bob are you trolling me?

You keep repeating the same mantra and ignoring the basic components of my questions, which could be answered in the context of other versions, if it were really a problem to talk about CS6 (it isn't - see below). For example you could say "In CS5.5, when Help > Updates doesn't update the panel, it means you need to install _______ OR it means these files ______ are corrupted. Delete them and try again." Those might not make any sense because I don't know what the actual answer is, but hopefully you get the idea.

By "Builder panel: I mean the Folio Builder panel. Located at the bottom of the stack in the Digital Publishing workspace. AFAIK there isn't another panel that uses the name "builder" (?) so I assumed people would understand what I meant. It is this panel that integrates people's InDesign content into the DPS workflow, is it not? This is where people "experiment" with DPS formatting of documents, based on the tutorials I've seen. Maybe I'm confusing it with something else that has to be installed separately.

My final words on CS6:

CS 6 is not shipping but it IS available (legitimately) to some people and there is no longer an NDA for those people. Perhaps you're under a special embargo not related to the ones that partners and pre-release people had (which were all lifted on the 23rd according to Adobe's own announcements for those people). Other examples that demonstrate there is no limitation about discussing CS6 in the context of DPS:

This week this was posted here.

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/digitalpubsuite/using/WS67cb9e293e2f1f60-2 1ba9a4512e5e5e0b8d-7ffe.html

It talks in part, about DPS in the context of CS6...

This was posted here.

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/digitalpubsuite/using/WS67cb9e293e2f1f60-2 1ba9a4512e5e5e0b8d-8000.html

It also talks about DPS in the context of CS6...

...if there were an embargo on discussing CS6 in the context of DPS those documents would not be live. Simple as that.

All that being said:

Are you saying the updated Builder Panel being talked about in this and other threads, is not related to CS6? Tangent to that: when people say "Folio Producer Tools", is the Builder Panel (any version of InDesign) a part of those tools? I'm sorry with all these questions. I've done some homework (reading the product literature, watching tutorials and webcasts) and I am ready to dive in and get to other topics (related to producing content / testing content) but I am stuck at a point where it appears I can't do anything.

|
    Mark as:
    May 3, 2012 5:54 AM   in reply to VanGrenade

In another thread you were referring to the Viewer Builder (I think that was you, if not, I apologize). That’s why I asked.

And again, there are no updates available for CS6. I don’t know how much clearer that can be stated.

Wait until the actual shipping date which I believe is Monday or Tuesday and we’ll all find out together.

The only updates available currently are for CS5 and CS5.5.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    May 3, 2012 6:39 AM   in reply to Bob Levine

Bob:

Yes I was asking about the new "Builder-Viewer app" which I recognize is a separate thing, and I had some comments as far as the shear number of components and steps required to get this whole process to work. So that's all understood as feedback for Adobe, etc.

OK, no updates available for CS6. Knowing that is helpful. In prior discussions you stated "CS 6 isn't out yet [we can't talk about it / be patient / go to pre-release]." Hopefully you can understand how one of those answers (i.e. "no updates [that work with] CS6") is more helpful than the others. Thank you for hanging in there / clarifying.

Anyone:

Now to my other questions, which I will try to ask as generally as possible:

1. Is it correct for users of InDesign CS5 and CS5.5, that all they need in order to experiment with this workflow is: the Folio Builder panel inside InDesign and the iPad "Viewer app", if they want to see what the finished product might look and behave like? (i.e. no DPS license is required to try the actual design tools out and preview the results)

2. What do the Folio Producer tools contain for CS5 and CS5.5 (which I don't have installed and so am unable to check)? I presume whatever it is, it is for the stage of the process where you begin to "compile" everything for final submission to Apple / the stage of the process where a DPS license is required?

3. Assuming 1 is correct, when someone who is using CS5 or CS5.5 cannot update the Folio Builder panel from the Help menu... what is their best course of action? I am asking this knowing that there's nothing I can do today... but in the future I want to know the answer to this question because it HAS happened to me in CS5 when I first tried to look at the Folio Builder panel to see what it did. I didn't know what DPS was then, but it was the same process. "You need an update", followed by "You are up to date", with no change in the Folio Builder panel. I can't be the only person who has experienced this.

|
    Mark as:
    May 3, 2012 7:13 AM   in reply to VanGrenade

1. Correct

2. The producer tools include the overlay creator panel and tools for compiling the folio prior to upload to Adobe. They are also available for download without a purchase or DPS license.

3. The help menu doesn't provide DPS updates in CS5 or CS5.5. You always have to go and manually download the components. If you update the folio panel and warnings from the panel about having to update then you also need to upgrade your version of the producer tools.

Neil

|
    Mark as:
    May 3, 2012 2:03 PM   in reply to Neil Enns - Adobe

Thanks Neil!

Those answers help clear things up.

Good to know about the Overlay Creator panel / where to find that, as well. Any chance Adobe will (down the road) put all of the necessary components into a single installer (one for Mac and one for Windows) that let's you pick which versions of InDesign you have installed, and then updates everything that needs it automatically... leaving untouched whichever components are up to date?

Having just one file to download every time there's a new producer tool / panel / etc might clear things up for people newer to the process.

|
    Mark as:
    May 3, 2012 2:07 PM   in reply to VanGrenade

That would be a bad idea as its somtimes important to have older versions of the producer tools but newer versions of the builder tools.

Without testing each element individually for bugs you can get into hot water.

|
    Mark as:
  • Bob Bringhurst
    4,629 posts
    May 29, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    May 3, 2012 2:12 PM   in reply to VanGrenade

Yes, that's the plan. Starting with the v20 release, there is "Publish As" code in place. When v23 comes out, for example, you'll be able to publish as v23, v22, v21, or v20, if all goes well. With InDesign CS6 (May 7), there will only one patcher, DPS Desktop Tools. The CS5 versions of InDesign will still require separate installers so that publishers can roll back to pre-v20 versions.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points