Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

App shows blank (empty) screen on launch when using an ANE

May 2, 2012 7:15 AM

I've been developing a mobile app for the past several weeks. Yesterday, I tried to add an ANE to the app- with a native code implementation for iOS and a pure-ActionScript (default) implementation for Android and the simulator. After poking around the internet for some time looking for good examples of how to do this- I got it working. At least, it worked on both Android and the simulator. However, when I try to run the app on an iOS device- using either the "fast" packaging or the slower "export for release" packaging- the app launches to an empty/black screen. If I'm attempting to launch in debug mode, it does not even connect to the debugger.

I've been searching for possible causes for this for several hours now but I haven't turned up anything. Has anyone in the community encountered this? Do you have any advice?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 2, 2012 10:03 AM   in reply to Brian Vaughn

In your projects settings->ActionScript Build Packaging->Apple IOS->Native Extensions tab is the checkmark next to your ANE checked? Sometimes that isn't checked and it isn't packaged. I don't know why but I've seen that happen before.

|
    Mark as:
    May 2, 2012 10:46 AM   in reply to Brian Vaughn

So you have the basics established.. The SWC is included, the ANE is added, you get the green checkbox and are packaging it. When you roll-down the ANE from the ANE tab it states the OS it is designed for and that meets your criteria? e.g. Not using one made for OS5.1 and your device is not OS5.1.

I've had a lot of bad ANEs, outdated, etc. Some put me in an eternal compile loop at 57% progress and never make an IPA. I sometimes have to take an ANE out, compile and test, then re-add it just to make sure that's the issue. Have you done that?

|
    Mark as:
    May 2, 2012 11:40 AM   in reply to Brian Vaughn

Me following these random stack traces on really simple code is like a cat chasing a flashlight. Good luck with it, I hope the debugger works better for you than for me. I still get EXC_BAD_ACCESS even when using just NSLog() haha..

|
    Mark as:
    May 2, 2012 12:19 PM   in reply to Brian Vaughn

The XCode debugger is great for analyzing apps made inside XCode but something is fishy with the IPAs exported from ADT. I'm having issues getting instruments to make much sense of the garbled object names AIR is cross compiling to. It's not like XCode itself which will zombie your objects and point out you tried to deallocate "this object" and here's the zombie to prove it. So far I can't even get Zombies enabled and the objects AIR is creating are all random named so it's a huge PITA so far to debug.

|
    Mark as:
    May 3, 2012 6:36 AM   in reply to Brian Vaughn

Small well known gem here, you can never under any circumstances load an external SWF that contains code. So if your iOS app expects to load another SWF, it better have no code in it.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points