Skip navigation
Daftoons
Currently Being Moderated

Loading external XML no longer working

May 1, 2012 4:36 PM

Tags: #xml

Hi,

I have a website that was created in an earlier version of Flash.  It loads external .txt files and formats them with CSS.  It uses AS2 and targets Flash Player 8.  It worked perfectly all the way through my upgrades to MX2004 and CS3.  I now have CS5.5 and had to update the site.  I haven't changed any of the Actionscript and the .txt and CSS files are in exactly the same format as before. Trouble is it just won't display properly.  Most of the CSS styled text is missing.

I have tried targeting lots of different players, embedded characters and even tried saving it back to CS4 (as far as I can now go back).  Nothing seems to work.  It's definitely a CS4 - CS5.5 issue as I opened a backup version in my old CS3 and it displayed perfectly.  The same file in CS5.5 had the problems.

I could always go back and rework the old CS3 file, but it I've already done the work in CS5.5.

If you want to see what I'm talking about, the site is www.themetrotones.co.uk.  The news section of the home page is the culprit.  If you go to other pages (which haven't been near CS5.5) you'll see that all the CSS formatting is working.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Paul

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 3, 2012 6:27 AM   in reply to Daftoons

Over a very long time, specs change. AS2 is prehistoric. It will work as you expected regardless your version as long as you export for Flash 8.

To later versions, on a 20mbit (2.5MB/s) line I can't seem to load your site in under 60 seconds and I'm in the USA. Already you REALLY need to consider making the site preload differently. The second I saw a preload bar continue to load past (a conservative) 15 seconds, I was pissed.  Honestly the preloader never finished. I'm left with papyrus and two silhouette guys looking gangsta.

Are you requiring AS2 or willing to convert to AS3? I'm betting on needing AS2 personally. But we need an answer.

|
    Mark as:
    May 3, 2012 7:10 AM   in reply to Daftoons

You'll be pleased to know Flash CS6 exports to HTML5 Canvas.

If you need further help just private message me.

|
    Mark as:
    May 3, 2012 7:30 AM   in reply to Daftoons

Give the trial a chance.

|
    Mark as:
    May 3, 2012 7:57 AM   in reply to Daftoons

Flash has always been designed as an easy way to express your ideas visually. If thats SWF or HTML5 Canvas is irrelevant.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points