Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Updates, bug fixes, etc

Apr 23, 2012 10:47 AM

Tags: #cloud #creative_cloud

I'm not clear on how updates, bug fixes, etc will work now.  In the past, you could download occasional updates for software.  Sometimes features were added, sometimes bugs were fixed.

Creative Cloud is being hyped as always offering the latest and greatest versions of software.  Does that mean people who buy physical copies of software no longer get free updates?  Or will the updates given to cloud members still be given to those who purchased physical copies?

I'd be disappointed to buy CS6, find a major bug issue, and never have it fixed but cloud subscribers get a fix.  Or they get it fixed months in advance.

Thanks,

jb

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 23, 2012 12:07 PM   in reply to Jack Banatoni

This is the same area my question stems from…

If you are going to download the products from Creative Cloud anyway and have them on your computer so you can work off-line then, what’s the real difference between that and the non-subscription version in terms of updates?  In theory, you would still need to update your subscription software in the same way so why would it be easier or harder depending on which way you purchased CS6?

How can they get updates to the subscription folks faster??

Shawn

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 26, 2012 8:28 PM   in reply to Jack Banatoni

Hi guys,

I think I can address these questions.

How updates work, you could think of updates as being divided into two catagories, fixes and new features, the fixes with be available for everyone as soon as they are available, the new features (when ready) will only be available to subscription customers whereas perpetual customers will have to wait for the next major product release, CS7 for example.

I copied this from the FAQ for Creative Suite in the Subscriptions section:

You will be eligible to receive updates and upgrades to the Creative Suite product you subscribed to as long as your subscription remains active. Adobe will notify you by email# of upgrades as they become available. The email will contain instructions on how to access and install the upgrade.

Any ongoing bug fixes, security patches, and other update releases that do not require full upgrades will be made available through the updater through Adobe’s application manager just as in the regular versions of Adobe Creative Suite software.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 27, 2012 7:38 AM   in reply to Jack Banatoni

Correct, there will be multiple versions out there but only subscription customers will have access to the version which includes both new features and fixes. Updates which include fixes will be available everyone.

|
    Mark as:
    May 3, 2012 7:08 AM   in reply to David__B

there will be multiple versions out there but only subscription customers will have access to the version which includes both new features and fixes

Ouch. In the future, how should I, the CC member, work with customers who are not in the cloud?
    Say, me with CC-InDesign CS6 (enhanced feature set) vs. customers with InDesign CS6 (standard feature set)?

Working together in exchanging InDesign files would be impossible, if I am using the enhanced feature set.
    Or will there be a mechanism that protects or maintains features (object properties) the other part is lacking?

That is a tough one…

Uwe

|
    Mark as:
    May 3, 2012 7:16 AM   in reply to Laubender

Let's expand the (hypothetic) example:
    Customer or colaborator is from India (currently there is no support in India for CC).

I'm using InDesign CS6 CC v8.2.4, he is using the non-CC version 8.0.3.

Are we still able working together?

Uwe

|
    Mark as:
    May 3, 2012 7:43 AM   in reply to David__B

Thanks David - that clears that up but, I still have some questions:

The other issues rasied here combined with the fact that I cannot seem to get a clear answer on how current CC members will,  in the future, be credited for payments and be pre qualified for a "discount"  if they need to more back to the download version. 

If this model does not work out for me due to changes in my business model and I need to switch back to the download version it might be prohibitively expensive for me to upgrade at that point because my last download version may be more than 3 versions old. Not getting credit for payments made to the CC option would put me on the sidelines. This in my mind is similiar to a car lease - at the end of the day you own nothing. In terms of a car you do get some benefits from this model but in terms of software, this seems much less viable, for most anyway.

|
    Mark as:
    May 3, 2012 7:59 AM   in reply to Laubender

And, to reply to myself, driving this example still further:

will I am not be able to open my own files after choosing not to be member of the Creative Cloud anymore until a new version of, I stay with that example, InDesign will arrive for everyone (not just the cloud members)?

Uwe

|
    Mark as:
    May 3, 2012 1:04 PM   in reply to Laubender

In relation to your question about whether a newer CC version could potentially have file format compatibility issues with the non-CC versions. I discussed this topic with members of our product engineering group and was told that should not be an issue, any CC updates should not affect file compatibility with non-CC versions.

I don't have an answer to whether someone who was a yearly subscriber would get any kind of upgrade discount if they decided to switch back to perpetual. I know the topic is being discussed but I don't think any conclusion has been reached. I'm not sure when an answer will be available.

Files hosted on Creative Cloud will continue to be available should you choose to cancel your membership (at least 30 days).

-Dave

|
    Mark as:
    May 3, 2012 2:20 PM   in reply to David__B

Thanks David.

Any chance that the discussion on the possible yearly CC subscriber discount when moving back to perpetual license issue can be resolved before the May 6th post announcement upgrade policy expires? If not, for me, there is a clear finical advantage ( not to mention less risk )  to stay with the perpetual model.

Just reading that makes me long for simpler days

Thaks for responding,

Shawn

|
    Mark as:
    May 6, 2013 7:29 PM   in reply to David__B

On the same line of thinking..     I have two licenses for CS6, one for the PC and one for the Mac..     as a subscriber to CC, in theory, I would have side by side licenses.  One with the boxed product and one connected to CC.   The boxed CS6 product isn't going to suddenly start needing monthly authentications, right?

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points