Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

re editing a recorded action in PS cs4*

May 2, 2012 10:45 PM

Hi, I threw these same words to the community forum and it returned nothing relevant to my query! Actually there were only 2 entries. However in Google I got many accurate and relevant answers, the problem is that it does not work for me. I know i would have been much quicker to re record the whole action to solve my problem.
  My problem is that I made a new folder that I call "photo manipulation" and moved my "save" folder into it with the new droplet I created. So the action can not any longer save in its original path and my photos get stuck, not even manipulated in photoshop! ,
All I wanted was to add the new folder in the "save" path between two forward slashes.
  The answer apparently is to double click on the action's relevant portion and enter the new value. As indicated in this segment "Overwrite a single command" as copied and pasted below.
"In the Actions panel, double-click the command. Enter the new values, and click OK."
This does not work for me - when I double click on an action command I get a pop up from "Adobe Photoshop CS4 Extended" with the yellow exclamation mark and
[The command "SAVE" is not currently available] Continue   Stop
and there is nothing more happening whatsoever.

As said b4 I would have been faster to re record but I'm curious why this edit won't work for me thank you.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 3, 2012 3:24 AM   in reply to Michelmnr

Is a file  open when you double-click teh Save-step in the Action?

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,471 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    May 3, 2012 3:17 PM   in reply to Michelmnr

You need to have your document in the same context it will be in when you will run the action.

If you're double-click editing a Save step, you'll need a document open, so Photoshop can actually run the Save.  Then when it's done the action will be updated with whatever you've done during the Save.

(This is just an extended version of what Christoph has said above),

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,471 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    May 3, 2012 6:01 PM   in reply to Michelmnr

Normally your action is running while a document is open, right?

In order to edit an action step, you need a document to be open while performing the edit.

The way step editing is done, it's like you're re-recording that one step.  You can't do a Save without a document open, right?

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    May 3, 2012 11:36 PM   in reply to Michelmnr

If you want to edit a Save as-step in an Action you need to have an open document.

The other steps are irrelevant for this.

So just try this: open a document, correct the saving operations in the Action and create the droplet anew.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,471 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    May 4, 2012 6:35 AM   in reply to Michelmnr

I guess this is the difference between looking at how it works as a programmer and looking at how it works as a non-programmer.

As a software guy, I envision the action working on whatever image you give it through time...  At one point, with the image open as a document it's done all the steps leading up to the File - Save step, and now it's doing that step.

Keep that context in mind.

When you want to edit an action step, you have to have Photoshop in the same condition it will be in when the action is running as a droplet and it has reached that action step.

In the general case, yes, you would want everything just as it is when the action is running.  However, for the specific process of saving a file, you can take a shortcut, as Christoph has proposed above, and just open any old document before editing the File - Save step, because an open document is all a File - Save step is dependent on.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    May 6, 2012 2:42 AM   in reply to Michelmnr

You still need not recreate the whole Action; you can just duplicate the Action in the Actions Panel, delete the offending step and record that anew if you are convinced that the edited step caused you problems.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points