My current setup:

P8P67 Pro Rev B

SSD 120 GB Windows 7/64 OS on 3 Gb/s connector

RAID 0 SATA3 (2x2TB) on Intel 6Gb/s connectors

RAID 0 SATA2 (2x1.5TB) on Intel 3 Gb/s connectors

Ports are set to 'RAID' mode in BIOS

There are four 3 Gb/s ports and two 6 Gb/s ports controlled by Intel

Two additional 6 Gb/s ports are Marvell controlled

Is it advisable to move the SSD to the Marvell 6 Gb/s port? Can I simply plug it in or will I have to reformat and set up the RAIDS?

Am I benefitting from the RAID 0 setup on the 6 Gb ports? Should I separate the drives?

I am having stability issues. Frequent lockups and crashes. Also, how do you tell the difference between a 6 gb/s cable and a 3Gb/s? I replaced the SSD cable and now have less frequent crashes, but still crashes.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 3, 2012 8:38 AM   in reply to Alex DeJesus

OS drive on 1 Intel Sata 600

Optical on the other

both raids on intel sata 300

skip the marvell as it will be slower

Scott

ADK

|
    Mark as:
    May 3, 2012 8:38 AM   in reply to Alex DeJesus

Is it advisable to move the SSD to the Marvell 6 Gb/s port? Can I simply plug it in or will I have to reformat and set up the RAIDS?

It depends on your SSD, but generally it will profit from the 6Gb/s port and yes, you can simply plug it in without needing to setup your raids again.

Am I benefitting from the RAID 0 setup on the 6 Gb ports? Should I separate the drives?

Yes, it makes them faster. If you have covered the backups, then I see no benefit to break them out to single disks.

I am having stability issues. Frequent lockups and crashes.

Now that worries me a bit. Can you tell us what you have changed from the factury defaults in the BIOS. Do you have the latest BIOS version installed? How do these lockups and crashes manifest themselves and from what application? What does the Event Viewer tell you in terms of error messages? What PSU do you have, what are the temps when you encounter such a crash or lockup? Have you checked your memory with Memtest 86+? etc.

|
    Mark as:
    May 3, 2012 11:57 AM   in reply to Alex DeJesus

It might be your PSU: None of Thermaltake's TR2 or TR2 RX series PSUs can handle anywhere near their labeled (advertised) wattage ratings. In fact, the TR2 RX 850W barely qualifies as a 600W PSU in realistic operating conditions. The major failing is the PSU platform(s) that they are based on (the TR2 RX 850W is based on an old HEC 600W platform to begin with) - and then, the safety circuits get disabled to allow more wattage to be output at the severe expense of DC output quality. The ripple goes way out of spec, which can kill PC components much earlier than you would expect!

|
    Mark as:
    May 3, 2012 5:21 PM   in reply to Alex DeJesus

The graphics card short-out is likely caused by dirty output from a low-quality PSU. You see, modern high-performance components are now more picky about PSU output quality than old, low-performance, obsolete components were. That is exactly what might happen if you're asking a PSU to output more wattage than what its original OEM manufacturer (HEC/Compucase, in the case of that Thermaltake-branded TR2 RX 850W) had designed it for.

Now don't get me wrong, Thermaltake does market some good PSUs. It's just that the TR2 RX line is one of many that they market which stink.

|
    Mark as:
    May 3, 2012 8:22 PM   in reply to Alex DeJesus

At least at the Fry's that's closest to my home, the Corsair AX line, the NXZT HALE 90 and HALE 82 lines, and most of the models in the Antec High Current Gamer and High Current Pro lines are good to great choices. Most of those are manufactured by Seasonic (with the following exceptions: The AX 1200W is made by Flextronics; the NXZT HALE 90 line is made by Super Flower and the Antec High Current Pro line and some of the High Current Gamer models are made by Delta).

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points