Skip navigation
datick
Currently Being Moderated

Adobe tries to open all programs and con not be uninstall

Apr 24, 2012 7:52 AM

Hi, I am using Windows XP and I installed Adobe Reader X 10.1.3 But after I installed Adobe, I could not open any files except the ones on desktop. I can not use any of them from Start or Control Panel. I tried to uninstall Adobe from Control Panel>Default Programs>Program Install/Unistall but still tries to open with Adobe. Is there any other way that I can uninstall?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 25, 2012 3:01 AM   in reply to datick

Sorry, I cannot understand what you mean by "Adobe tries to open all programs" or "still tries to open with Adobe".  Can you word that a little bit more clearly, i.e. what are you trying to open, and what exactly happens then?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 26, 2012 2:29 AM   in reply to datick

It seems that the file association for .exe and .cpl may have been corrupted (and are now pointing to Adobe Reader).

Can you open Windows Explorer, or does it give you the same problem?

When did this start?  Can you possibly do a System Restore to a date before it started?

This may be quite difficult to solve if you cannot open any .exe or .cpl files.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 26, 2012 6:55 PM   in reply to datick

I have been thinking about your case...

If I encountered a similar situation, I would create a boot disk with regedit.exe on it, then boot with that disk.  I would then open regedit and check what filetypes are associated with Adobe Reader, and if necessary fix them manually.

Either way, you should try to get a full backup of your system before proceeding.

|
    Mark as:
    May 4, 2012 2:48 AM   in reply to datick

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers