Skip navigation
Junk Science
Currently Being Moderated

Is Adobe Reader now a Trojan for installing unwanted software?

Apr 27, 2012 3:31 PM

Tags: #problem #windows #xp #reader #trojan #mcafee

Adobe Reader update message popped up today.  Started install of update and noticed that some McAfee Scan garbage was also being installed.  Nothing in the update invitation mentioned that I would be installing anything other than a Reader update.  I cancelled at about 67% of the process.  Reader install then finished and McAfee showed to be cancelled.  What damage was done by allowing this to go as far as I did?  I'm not happy with this attempt to hose my computer with unwanted stuff!  Where did I miss the option to decline the McAfee junk BEFORE the install was already underway?

Looks like Adobe Reader is now a Trojan for unwanted McAfee Install.  Now I can't even trust Adobe to not infect my computer.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 4, 2012 2:46 AM   in reply to Junk Science

Hi Junk Science,

If you are installing latest version of Reader from : http://get.adobe.com/reader/,

then there is a opt-in checkbox there which you can uncheck in-case you don't want to install Mc-Afee. Please have a look at the green box in the image below:

McAfee.jpg

|
    Mark as:
    May 4, 2012 3:59 AM   in reply to Nikhil.Gupta

As Security Scan is not an Adobe product, the default should be to have the box unchecked.

|
    Mark as:
    May 4, 2012 8:52 PM   in reply to Junk Science

Don't allow auto-update; it is always very late anyway!

Download the offline installer (without any bundled crap) from http://get.adobe.com/reader/enterprise/ when it becomes available.

Message was edited by: Pat Willener - typo.

|
    Mark as:
    May 11, 2012 12:10 PM   in reply to Nikhil.Gupta

THIS IS CHEATING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

People ranging from system experts to housewives install Adobe software all the time, but most of the times this occurs under very stressfull situations like: an opreating system reinstall or just after unboxing a brand new computrer. People does not come to Adobe website to browse and see if they like something, they come because they are unable to make another piece of software work, lot of them come frustrated or in a hurry, and they do not notice the check box, it is intentionally designed to pass unoticed. Even experts hit "download" without any further reading, just becuase Adobe was believed to be a serious and reliable company. But this kind of practices deminishes your credibility and image. I think, having the checkbox checked by default is not a nice practice, in fact I consider it unethical and fraudulent. A honset company would make very sure to have a checkbox like this cleared by default.

I used to trust blindly in companies like yours, because I considered them honest and ethical, but sadly this changes everything.

Too bad you cheat people like this.

|
    Mark as:
    May 11, 2012 10:22 PM   in reply to g5154

g5154 wrote:

...this kind of practices deminishes your credibility and image.

This is a user-to-user forum; you are not talking with Adobe here, but with your fellow users.

While I fully agree that such a checkbox for bundled software should not be pre-checked, the fact is that almost all free software on the Internet is somehow bundled with one software or another, and most (if not all) have such a pre-checked box.

Users do need to be careful what they click, what they download, and generally what they do with their computers.

At least, and I need to say that, Adobe does not install spyware on their users' computers, as some other free PDF viewer does!

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points