Skip navigation
Andrew M Kinnear
Currently Being Moderated

Kerning/tracking difference between InDesign CS4 & CS5.5

May 4, 2012 2:08 AM

My department (editorial) has just upgraded to CS5.5.

We're seeing differences in the way type is scaling between documents created in CS4 when opened in CS5.5.

The font involved is Myriad Pro Black, part of our Adobe Myriad Pro family.

If I save the CS5.5 doc back as an IDML and re-open it in CS4 everything is back to normal.

I'm finding it difficult to compare the two to see whether it's point size, kerning or tracking because if I cut and paste a text box from 5.5 to 4 it pastes as an object, I'm guessing it pastes as PDF as it's seen as coming from another aplication.

Is anyone else seeing differences in character widths or line lengths?

This is potentially a major problem for us as we have a large amount of legacy material in previous issues an promotional documents that will need to be re-proofed every time an alt is made.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 4, 2012 5:42 AM   in reply to Andrew M Kinnear

There are changes in the text engine with every version. Opening a legacy file will cause text to reflow as soon as you touch the frame containing it. You have two options, continue to work on old files in the original version and create new files inthe new version, or live with it.

You can force recomposition in two ways and get it over with immediately, by exporting .idml or .inx from the original and opeing that (a good idea, anyway, when moving legacy files to CS5), or by using the keyboard shortcut Cmd + Opt + / or Ctrl + Alt + / depending on the OS.

|
    Mark as:
    May 4, 2012 7:04 AM   in reply to Andrew M Kinnear

Can you post some screen shots of the difference you are seeing?

You mentioned Optical Kerning, and that might be the clue. Optical Kerning is using an algorithm to calulate spacing based on the glyph shapes, and that algorithm may be changing between versions. Optical kerning is really intended more for working with glyph pairs from different faces or styles, not a s a substitute for font metrics in running text.

|
    Mark as:
    May 4, 2012 7:25 AM   in reply to Andrew M Kinnear

I notice that the type is both kerned and tracked in that frame. Is that true everywhere there is a problem, or anywhere there isn't?

|
    Mark as:
    May 4, 2012 8:14 AM   in reply to Andrew M Kinnear

I guess the only suggestion I have is don't use Optical Kerning this way...

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points